Microsoft October Updates IMPORTANT

We've rolled out all updates to out 900+ client computers at work using WSUS.

No known problems as yet.

Sponsored Links
How do I go about suing microsoft? Computers working normally until MS chose to install all of these updates on a single day. Now getting BSOD on one computer every hour or so and this one which has been faultless for 3 years wont start up without a startup repair or a system restore.
Do I uninstall the lot or what?

if it's been faultless why bother updating? the old adage of "if it aint broken don't fix it" rings so true with microsoft :rolleyes:
uninstall it all and if you really want to update then apply the updates one at a time.

With updates, you'll be damned if you do and damned if you don't. Our IT department once had a policy of not installing updates. Everything worked fine until the day a trojan got in and spread across the entire network. :mad: :mad: :mad:

On the other hand, I know from personal experience that you shouldn't accept everything Microsoft offers without question. A few years ago, they took it upon themselves to put out a microcode update for Intel processors and, like a fool, I just let it install. Result: my PC flatly refused to run the Windows GUI.

It took a lot of trawling around the internet (after booting from an alternate O/S) to find a way of removing the thing and I wasn't the only one with a problem. It appears that Microsoft never considered the effects of this update on older processors like mine. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I'm setting up a new XP installation right now and, right on cue, the little icon is telling me that updates are available. Included in the list of 'critical' updates are IE8, which I don't want, and that obnoxious little spy, WGA. Needless to say, these will NOT be getting anywhere near my hard disk!

If you have a large number of computers to deal with, I suggest you try out updates on one computer kept for the purpose before you apply them right across your network - and do a Ghost image first.

Sponsored Links
Microsoft are at it again.

The little icon told me updates were available so I did what I always do: chose Custom Install, selected each in turn and clicked on the link below. In most cases, this link will take you to a page where you select a download applicable to your O/S but KB952287 was different.

Instead of the expected download link, I was pointed to a knowledgebase article which described the problem. :eek: There was a link on it to obtain updates. I followed the link but there was no download. :confused: :confused: If I wanted it, I had to provide an e-mail address and they would send it. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Now this all seemed very suspicious but I had it sent to my work e-mail address and it arrived encrypted - complete with a password valid for seven days. The e-mail went on to say that this was an untested update that should only be used by those experiencing the specific problem and that a fully tested update would be released later.

So now I just about understood the need to jump through hoops but what about all those poor suckers who accept all updates without question. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

This one?
MS-update.jpg

BTW. KB952 287 not offered either under Custom or Express.
Also no reference to that update in my fully maintained logs

Applied all relevant recent updates to 2 desktops 1 netbook 3 laptops using fingers and loaf. Not a single problem, during or since.

:D

Oops, oops and thrice oops!!! I must have mistyped the number. :oops: :oops: :oops:

I'll have to check automatic updates again to find out what the real number was. Say it somebody: What a plonker!

Edit: Or mabe not. :confused: :confused: :confused: This is the page I arrived at when I clicked the information link on that update:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/952287

Upon finding no download, I followed this link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/961451/

and then this one:

http://support.microsoft.com/hotfix/KBHotfix.aspx?kbnum=961451&kbln=en-us

I've saved that update in case I ever need it. Since KB952287 does exist (thanks for that empip) maybe the plonker is at Microsoft - for putting the wrong information link with the update! :?: :?: :?:

Sponsored Links
Back