Update on the need for Flash

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I posted yesterday about a strange problem with Flash and my Verbatim SecurePro USB stick. I got a reply from Verbatim Support in Germany saying that the drive does need Flash and that they were urgently sorting out a fix which they would send out asap. These are expensive encrypted drives which I expect are full of some very important files etc. As I said in my original post, I have two secure backups so not urgent for me.
Apparently Microsoft meant to send out the update which zapped Flash as Optional so that users could check to see if they might still need it........but it was mistakenly pushed out as Important and installed automatically. I did actually check but I can't for the life of me see how a memory stick would need it. There is a little animation where you enter the secure key code so could that be it?
Control Panel will have a Flash entry if it has not been zapped on your computer if anyone wants to check.
EDIT: I have just seen a post on another site which says that a temporary fix would be to use a previous Restore Point if urgent access to the drive is needed. Obviously, check the date Flash was removed and choose a Restore date before that. Seems a bit drastic but if you need to get a file today I can't see any other solution. I wonder how many other devices need Flash before they will work - hopefully not many!
EDIT2: A very wise poster elsewhere has suggested finding someone who has a device that has not been updated if you need to access the drive urgently - seems logical!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I think the irony of using Flash as part of a security process was probably too much for the authors, which might explain why the replacement is so delayed.

Still nothing from Verbatim. I feel guilty because I recommended these drives to friends/colleagues as they are supposed to be the most secure USB sticks on the market. I still can't believe that mine stopped working.......because it needs Flash!

I'd have gone with an IronKey, they're government grade security. You pay for it though.

Sponsored Links
Back