Microsoft office versions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am considering doing a factory reset of my pc back to windows10 so just checking I still have all the software I will need to reinstall afterward. I currently have a fairly old version of microsoft office that needs to be updated and as I cannot find the original disks, I will have to buy a newer version anyway.

I have been looking on line at the various versions available and I am a bit confused at the pricing. Amazon for example has the home and student version priced at £84 while the professional is £28. However I have seen the home and student version at £25 elsewhere and the professional at over £100. Am I missing something here? I'm just a little confused as to what the various versions offer. Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I suspect that the pro version will include Outlook.

You can still purchase various versions of Office as stand alone installs. I prefer to pay for the Office 365 Home subscription which can be found for as little as £60 on ebay. As an android user, I like the fact that it offers me one terabyte of online space and it can be shared with 5 other users (1Tb each plus mobile and PC versions of the software0.

There are bogus offers on ebay that are too cheap to be true. They are normally people that convince MS that they are charities or schools that get free licences to "share". Often they charge about £20 and promise lifetime subscriptions. Once MS twig what they are up to they block the accounts.

You could "torrent" copies of office if you are thus inclined but you won't get the phone versions or free space.

The professional version does include powerpoint, outlook and access etc which the home and student version doesn't. As such, I don't understand why the professional version generally seems to be cheaper than the home and student version even though it has the extra apps.

Have you tried the free versions such as open office and libre office?

Sponsored Links
Have you tried the free versions such as open office and libre office?

I agree. I have Libre Office as well as an old MS Office 2007. I use the MS Office routinely as I'm used to that, but I have used Libre Office as well and found it just as good and quite easy to use.

I am considering doing a factory reset of my pc back to windows10 so just checking I still have all the software I will need to reinstall afterward. I currently have a fairly old version of microsoft office that needs to be updated and as I cannot find the original disks, I will have to buy a newer version anyway.

I have been looking on line at the various versions available and I am a bit confused at the pricing. Amazon for example has the home and student version priced at £84 while the professional is £28. However I have seen the home and student version at £25 elsewhere and the professional at over £100. Am I missing something here? I'm just a little confused as to what the various versions offer. Any help appreciated.

Office can just be downloaded freely from Microsoft, all you need do is know your key code, or find it in your old version. There is free software which will search your system for all of the MS codes and list them - always worth doing that and printing them out.

Back