Stand alone Microsoft Office

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do I get a version of Microsoft Office that does not need internet access, i.e. a stand alone version? I recently carried out a full factory reset on my PC which, while speeding up my laptop considerably, I lost (on purpose) my previous copy of Office 2008 Enterprise which had and was serving me very well. I have had to load a new online version (as I believe they all are now) and I don't like it at all for many reasons. There are also situations where I will not have web access but still need to write up reports on word. Unfortunately I have lost my original office disks so any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

The apps in Office 365 will work offline.
However, the free alternatives Libre Office, or Open Office are pretty decent, and may be worth a try? :)

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Maybe eBay? Perhaps an older version such as 2010? Or as per @RandomGrinch - the online versions still work offline.

Try one of the free versions that will save as a word document.
I've used libre office for years and installed the Microsoft fonts.
Other smaller word packages if all you want is to write word documents

Sponsored Links
My current Office suite will not open unless I am online. The other issue I have is that I use text boxes quite a lot and apparently, according to Microsoft, these are not currently supported by online versions of Word and I need the desktop version which I have to pay for (having already forked out for the online version!) I think I will look for an older version on disk or an alternative. Thanks.

I use libre office.

I can't understand why almost everything these days a)has to connect to the internet b) has to have a subscription service,

Any Adobe program is now subscription only...

Anyway, if you get office home and student it.can be used offline

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
having already forked out for the online version!
May I ask what online Office subscription you paid for?
I may be looking in completely the wrong place, but, I can't seem to find one that doesn't allow the app to be downloaded?

I haven't paid for a subscription. I downloaded Office 2016 Home and Student version, perpetual licence, single install for a one off payment.

This one: Microsoft Office 2016 Home and Student PC - Download - (mssoftware.co.uk)

I didn't pay much for it as I just needed something to get me up and running again.
As far as I can see, that is a full app, and should work offline.
Silly question, but have you downloaded and installed the app, or do you just access your account through a browser?

I haven't paid for a subscription. I downloaded Office 2016 Home and Student version, perpetual licence, single install for a one off payment.

This one: Microsoft Office 2016 Home and Student PC - Download - (mssoftware.co.uk)

I didn't pay much for it as I just needed something to get me up and running again.

Fair enough but be aware that it stopped receiving product updates in October 2020. It will however receive security updates until 2025.

For what it is worth, with earlier versions of Office, MS used to scrub the activation codes from their database after 6 months. Every 6 months, you could install the same version on a different PC and use the same serial number. That said, they did block serial numbers shared on the internet by lots of people.

Last edited:
I thought I had downloaded and installed the app but if I try to open any of the office apps I just get a message telling me I am not connected and I should carry out the usual connection checks.

Thanks for all the answers. I think I have sorted it out. If I try to open up a new document in one of the office apps, I get the offline message. However, I can open and edit a locally saved document while offline. I also get the text box option which I wanted. It does appear therefore that I have installed the office app, it just doesn't work in the way I am used to but that's progress I suppose!

Sponsored Links
Back