Microwave help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all, hopefully someone can help.
I have a Samsung microwave/combi oven, the microwave doesn't heat up the turn part still turns.

Any ideas what's most likely the problem?

Ps I'm an electrician but never dabbled much with appliance repair

Any help much appreciated

Sponsored Links
Any ideas what's most likely the problem?

Ps I'm an electrician but never dabbled much with appliance repair

Most likely, it will be the magnetron which has failed, but there are perhaps lethal voltages in them, even when off, and dangerous RF fields when operating. A basic check would be to see if the big heavy transformer inside, has mains voltage across the primary winding, when it should be cooking. If not, there is some issue upstream of the magnetron. Replacement magnetrons can be had for £20 to £40.

Last edited:
Some microwaves have a fuse in the secondary circuit of the transformer.

Often housed in an in wire holder.

Designed to prevent over current but they can sometimes fail due to old age too.

If you are not familliar with electronic equipment then if opening then disconnect from the power and suitably discharge the HV capacitor with a resistive connection rather than just shorting it which can be dangerous..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back