microwave - internal fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a new(ish) microwave - just outside the 1 year guarantee :rolleyes: - and the internal 8A fuse has blown three times in the past couple of weeks. It's not heavily used, and nothing unusual about its installation or location.

No obvious visible problem with the internal wiring or components.
I'm on the point of calling out an engineer - but before I do so, does anyone have any experience of this kind of problem, and any suggested solutions?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
There are several micro switches involved with the high voltage circuit in all microwave ovens. One of these ( the monitor switch ) shorts out the mains input to the transformer when the door is OPEN. If the switches are not aligned properly they can all be CLOSED at the same time... Hence the fuse blows.
Also do NOT switch off the machine by opening the door, this just makes it easier for the switches to be closed at the same time, It only takes a fraction of a second for the fuse to blow.

you MAY find it cheaper to get new microwave than call out an engineer + parts + labour

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
you MAY find it cheaper to get new microwave than call out an engineer + parts + labour
Breezer is right. we used to charge £35.00 + parts. :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back