Microwave 10A Fuse blowing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can anyone help?
My NEFF H5642 microwave went bang when cooking!! and nothing worked on the unit (no clock, no light). It seems this microwave has now been discontinued, and the replacement comes in black or SS, and not Brown to match my other appliances, so I took the plunge and took a look inside to find the internal 10A fuse was broken and blown out of it's holder. Now I have replaced the fuse, and the clock and light work again, but as soon as I press START to cook the fuse blows again. I have read on the net that it may be the inverter or magnetron at fault. As these are about £60 each does anyone know an easy way to tell if either or both are faulty. If it helps the Magnetron has a label marked Panasonic 2M236-M42 with J65-05150 1 underneath. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Microwaves are dodgy to repair as DIY items.

The 10A fuse could blow because of faulty

Door interlocks
Magnetron
Transformer
HV Diodes
HV capacitor
Poor Connections (usually on the HV side)

After taking one apart for any reason it should be tested for microwave radiation leaks as well.

Jumping in on this one!
Friends oven is doing the same. I am pretty sure the capacitor is bad. Just want to know if I have to replace exactly, like for like. This one says 1.14 uF 2100 v. Would a 1.2 uF one do???
Thanks!
Phil

Sponsored Links
Jumping in on this one!
Friends oven is doing the same. I am pretty sure the capacitor is bad. Just want to know if I have to replace exactly, like for like. This one says 1.14 uF 2100 v. Would a 1.2 uF one do???
Thanks!
Phil

Heres a brief outline....Changing the capacitor will change the frequency at which the microwave emits radiation, the microwave will have been designed to work at a certain frequency within the 'microwave' range, and hence so will the wave guides within the unit, also the grating across the door is designed for the same frequency, any changes to that frequency could allow radiation to escape......IMO not worth the risk.

As Leccy758 says "Microwaves are dodgy to repair as DIY items."

Just my thoughts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back