Microwave sensors on led lights?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all
Now that my consumer unit is sorted (thanks so much for the advice all!!) i am looking to get my old fluorescent lighting replaced- i have 6 fluorescent lights in utility room, garage and loft. I want them on the joists which is why i was looking at batten instead of downlight.

A colleague advised me to avoid the screwfix and toolstation lights (mostly lap and reeves from what i can see) and to get these

I am happy to take advice as i know nothing about lights, but i notice these have a microwave sensor which i assume is for detecting motion with 'always powered' lights that come on when someone enters the room

Wont that cause issues with a traditional on off light switch? or can the sensor be turned off?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
40 watt is a lot, in the main we fitted fluorescent lamps at 58 watt because that was the only wattage you could get for a 5 foot fitting, and we wanted the spread, so really too bright, but it was only option, when converting to LED we can buy a 5 foot lamp at half the output of the old fluorescent, this can work both ways where we wanted the light level we find the LED too dim, but where we only wanted the spread it allows us to fit lamps with less output but still get the spread.

I have found LED either seem to go on for ever, or fail very quickly, so I don't want an expensive fitting in case it only last a year, found no difference between cheap and expensive, and so have now gone for the cheap options.

I know my son had a batch of cheap lamps from toolstation which were short lived, but since he does not have a SPD fitted no idea if the lamps were faulty or if he had a load of spikes on the supply, I using cheap lamps over the last 4 years have had around 4 bulbs fail, but also had to change some as giving my daughter a headache, likely a high frequency flashing, but I could see nothing wrong with the bulbs.

So they also increase my stock, which since bulbs last so long will likely last my life time. This is the problem with LED its a suck it and see.

Sponsored Links
If not shopping at Screwfix or Toolstation, then I recommend TLC electrical if one near you.

This is their 4ft LED batten (note that yours was 40W so I presume that is 2 led tube as this is 22W and is single led tube).

Also Microwave and pir sensors are great if you are in and out all day (eg offices, shared garages). But if you are only in the room say once a week then the power used for the microwave sensor in each light becomes greater than the savings.For home use I would say not normally useful unless for a special reason - eg one bulb with sensor so can pop to fridge in garage without turning on lights).

Last edited:
Thanks so much guys, the lyco lights were out of stock
So i got 2 x knightsbridge lights for the utility room and kitchen (22w, the lumens seems higher than expected)
and got 4 x dust proof/insect proof lights for the garage and loft (Luceco branded) since the garage and loft are a bit dusty and seem to be a spider sanctuary

Hopefully the electrician can fix the garage ones to the beams rather than the boards, it does say they can be suspended if need be so im sure he will sort it- he was great with the consumer unit.

Thanks again.

fix the garage ones to the beams
Thx for update.

When I have wanted them closer to ceiling I have drilled 4mm holes in bottom of 'Non Corrosive Weatherproof' (dust proof/insect proof) lights where the beams are and used 4mm wood screews as they then fill the holes.
SFK

Thx for update.

When I have wanted them closer to ceiling I have drilled 4mm holes in bottom of 'Non Corrosive Weatherproof' (dust proof/insect proof) lights where the beams are and used 4mm wood screews as they then fill the holes.
SFK

All done the electrician said the lights i picked were fine and had them up in no time (6 lights in about an hour and a half!)
Thanks guys

• Thanks
Reactions: SFK

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back