Mid Terrace Re-Roofing advice following survey

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for some advice on behalf of my brother. Survey came back on a 1880's Stone Built Terrace which stated a full re-roof needed (roof is slate) - however trying to establish if its just the roof or any of the structure looks untoward.. I was a bit concerned about the vertical bits of wood that look new what is the purpose of these?.

Also noted the purlins go through to next door , assume this is normal for terrace house of this period.

Also noted is the Chimney breast is leaning slightly - would the best way to approach this to ask a builder to hack of render etc and take a look ?

When asking for quotes is there anything else worth asking so far jobs I think need doing would be
- Re-roof
- Builder to brick up one one side where there is big gap to neighbor
- Chimney breast to be looked at

Apologies for all the questions just trying to formulate plan of action and work out what trades are need.

page32image18226496
page32image18224000
page33image18223792
page33image18227120
page19image18455664

Sponsored Links
You need to refer back to the surveyor for advice. Get a full schedule of work drawn up, not just let a builder or anyone tell you what they want to do

There are party wall issues there, building control application required, and you need to know if there are planning issues with the roof covering replacement.

The chimney, if there has not been any removal of breasts below, is likely suffering from sulphate erosion of the mortar and will require a rebuild.

Are the purlins OK where they have been damp? Or have they gone soft there?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for response , Tank is no longer in use so would be removed when roof re-done. Will be going back to the surveyor and have also just arranged an independent damp and timer surveyor (as was requested by lender) hopefully they will be able to advise on state of purlins.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back