Re-roof estimate?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Wonder if anyone can help with a rough figure. Looking to buy a house and just got the survey report back. Its on the Sussex coast, Victorian terrace, 3 floors (though as its on a hill only two at the front).

Survey report states that the slates were replaced at some time (70s ish?) with concrete tiles which are too heavy for the roof and also slowly soaking up water and therefore getting heavier.

The roof wasn't properly supported and the purlins are being deflected. Some attempt at remedial work was undertaken but only served to put pressure onto internal, non load-bearing walls causing them to move a bit.

Looks like we therefore will have to either re-work the strengtehning of the existing purlins, or maybe even start them from scratch.

Any ideas what sort of cost we might be looking at for any of these options - particularly for the worst case of replacing the whole roof with new, lighter slates, and redoing the purlin arrangements at the same time?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Cheers

please read the forum rules

Sponsored Links
Can't tell you about the cost because every job is difference, can you take a photo in the loft area? you may only need some extra timber to support the roof in the right area.

Its not our pad (yet) so I don't have any photos. Waiting for the surveyor to get back to me to give me the real low-down on the state of it rather than just the back-covering reoprt writing!

Sponsored Links
The only way to do it would be to recover.

If its an up and over roof, average size, look at any where between £3,500 to £5,500 depending on which slates you use.

N.B. This is only a approx guide, you may get it cheaper you may not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back