Miele G641 dishwasher inlet/outlet

Reaction score
Country
Austria
Some dish washers have a pressure sensor for the depth of water in the machine.

This is a tube from the bottom of the chamber to a sensitive pressure switch above the top of the chamber, If that tube gets clogged with debris then the pressure switch cannot respond to changes in the water level.

I hope anyone won't mind that I made a new thread for my problem. Found the above advice in another thread and I'd like to start with it. Does anyone think my machine could be suffering from the above mentioned problem? It's also from 2004, a G641 Miele. Ran without problems for most of its life. Last year, I noticed that water started collecting on the bottom of the sump, which the safety pump then pumped out. But since it ran OK most of the time I didn't do anything else.

Then about 14 days ago, the machine started having more serious problems. It wouldn't start, pump kept pumping water in/out, weird noises...So I took the machine out of the cabinet, took the sides off and had a look. A side soleniod valve was leaking heavily and there were calcium deposits in the side plastic container 3cm thick. A brilliant poster here (it's how I found this forum) suggested that the seal be wrapped in teflon which worked very well and the valve no longer leaks. I tried all sorts of ways to clear the calcium deposits from the plastic container but none worked.. So I used my oscillating tool to cut a small hole into the container and put a sort of powder lemon acid in there (don't know the english word for it) and it cleared everything very nicely. The machine sporadically worked over the last 14 days, but now again it doesn't want to start. It pumped fresh water into the machine, which sits on the bottom. When I start any cycle it wants to pump that water out but stops after a few seconds and displays the inlet/outlet error. I made a video of the start sequence and one that is in the middle of a wash after it displayed an inlet/outlet error.

It cant be clogged pipes since water comes into the machine and out of the machine. I tried pumping water into a bucket instead of the wall drain and water came out until the pump stopped after a few seconds. It cleared some of the water but not all of it. So it can't be the pipes.

Please help, this is seriously buggering my holiday expenses and I do hope it's something I can fix/replace myself. I would think that an official Miele service might run into the hundreds of euros. Thanks for taking the time.

Video 1: This is at the start of a cycle, slowly pumping water in the plastic container. I don't know if the container is supposed to be full or empty after a wash. I noticed several times, that water stayed inside when I was "servicing" it. There are still some calcium deposits inside but I cleared 90% of them.

Video 2: This is after the machine displayed an inlet/outler error during the same cycle, about 45 minutes in.

Picture 1: Just to give a rundown of what I had done

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

This gentleman here suggested it might be the flow meter that has corroded contacts. It could be since water flowed quite heavily from that top soleniod valve.. Some water might have gotten into the flow meter and corroded it... I'll take the machine out again and remove the side then try to use some contacts cleaner on it a little later. Will report back. But if anyone has and other ideas please share.

Full strip down and clean, check, replace parts and rebuild.

In reality, it's 20 years old a owes you nothing. I have soft water and I'm on my 3rd dishwasher in the same period.

I'm handy at fixing stuff myself but sometimes you have to cut your losses.

I'd be buying a new, moden and better performance machine.

If you do sort it, likely it will be something else falls off in the near future.

20 years is good, even for Miele.

I know its given me a lot of good years but I just need like 6 more months out of it if I can help it. This is exceptionally bad timing in regards to my finances.

Full teardown, eh? :/ I was hoping the video could narrow it down.

Sponsored Links
I tested the flow switch with this method:

And the multimeter doesn't show anything. Could this be the result of a broken flow swtich?

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

I put the flow meter back into the machine and now it's suddenly doing a cycle.. I have no idea what to do. If the meter were broken, then the machine wouldn't start, no? It's now doing a Universal Plus cycle, I'll check back if it completes it.

Last edited:
It completed a full cycle.. The only thing I did in between it not working was spraying some contact cleaner on the connector of the flow meter and taking the meter out for a test (which it failed unless I did it wrong).

So... Anyone has any ideas?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back