Miele G977 Dishwasher fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a miele g977 dishwasher. The inlet/drain light is flashing constantly. I have cleaned all parts and checked inlet filters etc and all is ok. I filled the dishwasher with water from a jug and when I closed the door it drained. I can only think that the dishwasher is constantly stuck on drain. I have tried resetting the dishwasher but still the same.

Any ideas?

many thanks - Ross :D

Sponsored Links
If the drain pump runs constantly as well you have a leak or at least the leak protection system in the base has been activated.

Check for water under there with the power off.

Thanks Leccy

Ill have a look at that.

Just read on Miele website:

The inlet/drain indicator is flashing and an audible sound can be heard during drainage: (this is the exact problem I have!)

Possibly some kind of particles, e.g. a kernel or a glass shard, is blocking the drain pump. Please remove it according to the operating manual. You find the proper instructions under the manual's sections "Problem solving" and "Cleaning and care".

now the little water wheel does spin but it does click as the cog hits the bottom - im guessing this shouldnt happen?

The inlet/drain light flashing indicates a fault (obviously). But don't automatically assume it is an inlet or drain issue. There can be several seemingly unrelated causes for this error signal. There may be a leak & water on the base-plate has activated the flood protection system (lean the machine forward & see if water runs out). There could also be a problem with the circulation motor (jammed impellor), a defective pressure switch, non-return valve jammed....as well as the obvious "inlet & drain" timeout issues.

Sponsored Links
Missed the preceding posts while typing. Sounds like a piece of glass has jammed the pump..lie the machine on its back & remove the base-plate. Pump is twist fitted & easy to remove.

Thanks Zipper,

Ive just had a look at the drain pump and the little propellor does have some sort of resistance on it. does anyone know where I can find instructions to get this part out to clean?

thanks again everyone for your help - great forum!!

See my last post for instructions on how to remove it. Be aware the pump should have magnetic resistance....You ought to be able to feel the difference between normal magnetic resistance & a foreign object jamming the impellor occasionally.

Hi all

just had another look at the drain pump and there is definately nothing blocking it at all. I was wandering - could the drain pump be knackered? would this cause the fault? however water is draining from the maching when I add water to it so I'm stuck!

Any different ideas would be great.

thanks.

Ross

Hi Zipper - was typing while you posted.

Ill have a look at removing the base plate in minute. do you think that the pump could be shot tho? or any other ideas?

cheers Zipper.

Anything's possible. Could be a kinked/blocked fill hose, duff inlet valve, a bad pump timing out, water on the baseplate (this would still empty any water from inside the machine)....and any of the other things mentioned so far. Miele dishwashers should empty in under 30 secs, if it can't evacuate all the water in around 1 min then it may timout. How old is this machine?

Hi Zipper

The machine is around 3 years old - it has been used daily for the last 2 years. I have had the problem before and I just needed to clean everything and it went back to normal - sound like it could be a few different problems. Is there any way at all to isolate the fault (didn't really want to have to get miele out as I'd rather do the repair or replace parts myself but I will if I have to.

What are your thoughts?

At only 3 years old your drain pump shouldn't really be failing but you never know. You'll just have to start at one end & work your way through things one at a time. Re-check the drain hose for kinks/blockages & make sure the sink spigot isn't clogged. Same with the inlet hose (check the inline filters) & make sure the water pressure is good. Lean the machine forward & check for water running off the base-plate & make sure the sump filters are clean. If all is well tip the machine on its back, remove & inspect the drain pump. Then check if the circulation motor impellor turns freely. If still no-go then you'll have to dig a little deeper & check the inlet valve isn't O/C or jammed in the shut position. Power off before digging around inside the machine.

Hi Zipper,

thats great - looks like ill have a fun day tomorrow with that mate! Ill let you know how I get on.

thanks again.

Ross

Hi zipper,

got the dishwasher on its back - water must have been on the base plate as I have water all over the floor when tipping it back.

what would be leaking? any idea? got the base plate off and could it be a hose or something?

just after a bit of direction mate.

cheers

Ross

You working night shift ;)
Popular places for leaks are circulation motor seals & hoses. Look at the base-plate you removed, are there any signs of discoloration in a certain spot...a small leakage over time?

Hey Zipper, hows tricks?

well I did do a little bit of a night shift. I cleared all the water dried the bottom plate and put it back on then I reset the dishwasher, switched it on a 55C wash and waited the 2 YES TWO long hours for it to go round while waiting for drips (the mrs never told me the prewash would have tested it in 11 minutes) :rolleyes:

Anyway - no water leaked :)

Tried again early this morning and hey NO WATER! :D

I'm very pleased but i'm worried that it may just start leaking when it feels like - what do you think? could the water have come from an overflow or anything? because the bottom plate is bone dry. What do you think?

by the way - THANKS for all your help ;) - wouldn't have known where to start mate - i'd have probably had the door off first!! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back