Miele Oven H383-1BP-KAT. Ran Pyrolytic clean, now it blows the breaker.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had the oven for years, never a problem. Ran the cleaning cycle last night and although the display is normal, the oven light works etc., whenever I turn on the oven or grill in any mode, it pops the RCD at the consumer unit.

I've learnt that the high temperatures during the pyro cycle can trip an oven's "thermal fuse" and that replacing this is a likely solution. I've removed the back and top panels and the internals look more complicated than any oven I've seen before. More like a PC!

The pyrolytic cycle appeared to run to its conclusion, i.e. the oven beeped and it followed the steps the user manual said it would (symbology in the display, process for unlocking the door etc). Of course I can't be sure it didn't abort the process part way though, but it didn't blow the RCD until I tried to use it the morning after.

If anyone can help me locate the thermal fuse and test it, or perhaps suggest any other likely smoking gun, I'd be very grateful. I'd like to try any easy DIY steps before calling in a pro.

Many thanks - braniff

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
A failed fuse would cause it to not work at all, not trip an RCD.

More likely is that one of the elements has failed.

Thanks flameport, with the upper outer element disconnected, the oven operates. There is some charring around one of the terminals too but apparently this could be cumulative over the years.

Turns out both elements were goosed. Fitted a new one - all is well

Regards - braniff

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back