Miele oven tripping RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 5 year old Miele oven suddenly stopped working. When I switch it on at the wall the clock lights but then when I try to operate it by turning the dials to turn it on the RCD trips. My consumer unit has two RCD switches and it trips the one that controls the downstairs electrics. Hence the downstairs RCD trips and all the downstairs electrics go off. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Yes, it's usually the oven element failed and allowing current leakage. Replacement elements are usually available from appliance spares merchants. YouTube has vids of how to fit it.

Has the oven been in frequent use, or has it been left in a damp place?

Yes, it's usually the oven element failed and allowing current leakage. Replacement elements are usually available from appliance spares merchants. YouTube has vids of how to fit it.

Has the oven been in frequent use, or has it been left in a damp place?

Oven has be used frequently. Although I did leave a pan on my induction hob that I accidentally boiled over for about 1/2 a minute before I next used oven. But hob surely is sealed against the worktop and I looked through the small gap between top of oven and worktop with torch and from what I could see I couldn’t see any water marks as the top of oven was dusty all over.

Sponsored Links
damp does tend to bring out the problem, but oven elements are well-known for deteriorating with age and use and causing this problem.

So it doesn't need to be damp to happen. But damp is often an aggravating factor.

You say the trip happens as soon as you start powering the oven element, which supports the diagnosis.

Some oven have multiple elements, so if you have, for example, a fan element and a grill element, try turning them on separately.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back