Smeg oven trips RCD when turned off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have a 5 year old Smeg A42 with 2 ovens. The bottom, larger oven has no problems in heating up but about 5 seconds after we turn it off it trips the RCD. The MCB remains non-tripped (if there is such a word). We can stop this from happening by turning the oven to the light mode (the light in the oven is on but no heat) and it is fine when the oven cools down anmd we turn it off (doesnt trip the RCD).

It seems the fan (not the fan assiated fan but another fan in the oven) satys on for longer than it used to but this may just be my memory being irrational. The house was rewired... by an electrician 5 years ago.

Any help would be great

Iain

Sponsored Links
Why is the cooker on an RCD protected circuit? :confused:

I have read the discusssion on this forum on the pro's and cons on having a cooker wired to an RCD. The electricain wired it that way and so i presume he had his reasons. It is a volex split load consumer unit. Lights on one side sockets on other (including emersion and cooker). This is a new problem as it has run 5 years no probs and now this has happened. So i presume it is a componet of the oven. thermostat, thermocouple, fan thermostat or element?

regards

iain

I have read the discusssion on this forum on the pro's and cons on having a cooker wired to an RCD. The electricain wired it that way and so i presume he had his reasons.
Clearly, but what were those reasons?

This is a new problem as it has run 5 years no probs and now this has happened.
New symptom, perhaps, but not a new problem if it was installed wrongly.

So i presume it is a componet of the oven. thermostat, thermocouple, fan thermostat or element?
Or the total residual current in your installation was hovering near the boundary anyway.

Or the RCD is faulty.

Sponsored Links
Hi Iandhill
Did you ever get to the bottom of this problem as I'm having the same trouble with my Baumatic's main oven? Not got RCD so it's tripping the main fusebox.
Any help appreciated!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back