Miele W1 top panel.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, have a Miele W1 tumble dryer, the catch on the door lock has broken. Simple fix I thought, couple of screws and straight swap. But no, the defective lock doesn't fit through the front of the machine, so it's in through the to I go, or I would if I could get the bldy lid off!
The two torx screws and the locking tabs have been removed from the rear, but no matter how I either push or pull at the lid it will not move.
Please someone tell me I am being a muppet and it comes off really easily by doing this.....

Sponsored Links
are there two dimples on the side of the top panel (left and right)?
You have to puncture through these to release the lid and replace the lid.

Here is a video where they re-hinge the door.
Is your machine different?

Richard, thanks for that. It's the same but for the love of me the switch can't come free. I think the actual lever of the catch that has broken off, has allowed part of the mechanism to retract and preven me from removing it. I've pulled HARD, any more and it'll crease the door casing. Which means I need to go through from the top. I will have a look for these dimples. But having to puncture the outer skin seems a bit odd. I guess this is a way of ensuring that the machine hasn't been tampered with.

How old is it?
I would be calling Miele and making noises about how it was not up for the job, flimsy etc.

They can deal with it especially if it requires poking a hole in the side of the lid, to get the lid off.

Sponsored Links
Got the lid off but no access without major strip of machine.
So a little bit of leverage and I got the lock off.
Now however with the lid off I notice there is a set of brushes under the top, which are not in contact with the drum, see image, what the hell are these for?
I am thinking it is for a humidity sensor as the machine will now only run for 40seconds before it stops. Again any info appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    66.8 KB · Views: 226
Not to worry, for some reason the brush arms had lifted and there is a small latch. Found this and brushes released down. Machine now running good. Doh! Everyday is a school day.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back