MIG Welding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I thinking of getting a MIG welder this year, for making stuff from scrap metal (just a hobbie really). Any tips on what to look out for, in terms of good makes, power requirements, etc.

Thicknesses of metal I expect to work on are up to 5mm thick, although none would be for any kind of heavy duty applications, mostly for decorative purposes.

What limitations can one expect to have on the type of metals that can be joined?

Sponsored Links
I would look at the draper one's, they have better duty cycles than most in the hobby range, and for 5mm you are looking at 150 amp minimum,
then you'll have to decide whether to go gas or gasless.

What limitations can one expect to have on the type of metals that can be joined?
different wires and gas ? = mild steel, stainless, aluminium. same metals together, different metals tend to require brazing or solders.

Budget is the key decider here.
If size is an issue, Kempi MiniarcMig are worth considering.

Clarke ones seem much more popular than SIP or Sealey.

A 180a machine will do upto 8mm thick at a push. Depending on joint type/position.

Materials wise, Standard cheapy Mig/Mag machines are best for mild steel, reasonable on stainless and acceptable on ally.
Youll be able to do steel to stainless, but not ally to either.

Obviously, wire/gases to suit each.

Go with a gas machine, dont waste your time on gasless rubbish. And as soon as possible, get a proper regulator/bottle rather than disposables.
Essential on bigger machines.

For more info, have a look/ask here-

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/index.php

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back