might be a silly question - but can somebody try to help?

My SEDBUK calculation comes to about half yours and you're using about twice as much gas as me for those periods, so I think it all sounds right. I have a bigger house but better insulated. Loft insulation is very cheap if you do it yourself, pretty cheap if you can get it done subsidised.

The price calculation in your original post sounds wrong though. 400 units would be maybe 150 quid in a month? Maybe a little less on one of the cheapest tariffs.

Sponsored Links
Loft insulation is now on our list to do, also replacing the back door, hopefully it will help to keep the heat in. hot water temp. on boiler is set to..., hard to say, there is no proper scale, there is something like half circle, if you imagine scale from 1 to 10 on it, where 1 is the lowest and 10 the highest mark, 5 in the middle, it's on about 4. As i've mentioned it does get extremely hot when on, you could burn yourself. similar for central heating, it's on 4.5 . does it make sense? sorry, i guess stupid question but what is the TRVs? as for temperature controls, do you mean thermostat in the house? it's honeywell, manual, not digital. As i've mentioned previously, we usually turn it on in the morning, when i get up for about an hour or two and then in the evening for a few hours. Would it be better to keep it on constant 24/7 lets say on 17 C so the house wouldn't get so cold? would the boiler use less? this sounds now like another silly question probably.

maybe i did my calculations wrong, i thought that 4oo m3 is about 44oo kwh, and it's about 6.95 pence per kwh i think, but i might be completely wrong here. if so , that would be a great news. i'll need to check. thanks for pointing that out. Also, thanks to everyone who pointed out the insulation problem.

i thought that 400 m3 is about 4400 kwh,
That about right I've just calculated it, using the formula on my gas bill, as approx 11kW per m³.

and it's about 6.95 pence per kwh i think,
British Gas Web Saver is approx 6.53p for the first 670kWh per quarter and approx 2.6p per kWh for the rest.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, i didn't know that. we got bill last week, estimated which was over £4oo, still waiting to receive a correct bill. didn't know that they have two different tariffs.
Thanks a lot to everyone for your help, sorry if i wasted your time. At least we established the we need to do something about the insulation. Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back