Migrants crossing the channel. What could/should be done?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay, I can understand migrants fleeing places like Syria, I’d probably do the same myself but come on, France is a safe country, isn’t it?

Yet again I’m watching the news on TV this morning and the reporter has met up and held an interview with a dinghy in the channel containing about 20 *Syrians (*or so they claim) heading for the U.K. Over 4,000 migrants have entered the U.K. this way this year so far. How much is that going to cost the public purse - once they’re here, we have a duty to feed, clothe, house, educate and look after any health issues they have, often with an expensive translator involved. Perhaps we could set a policy where we accept a certain number of genuine migrants per year but the application must be made while in France and ALL those who try to cross the channel illegally should be actively returned, even if they are 100 yards from the U.K?

Sponsored Links
kay, I can understand migrants fleeing places like Syria, I’d probably do the same myself but come on, France is a safe country, isn’t it?

Perhaps it's not about whether France is safe or not.
Perhaps the migrants are Brexers..... :cautious:

Perhaps we could set a policy where we accept a certain number of genuine migrants per year but the application must be made while in France and ALL those who try to cross the channel illegally should be actively returned, even if they are 100 yards from the U.K?

I understood that we already had a quota in place?

Sponsored Links
I understood that we already had a quota in place?
Perhaps the message needs to get across to the migrants. If it gets out that they will be returned when picked up it might dissuade them. Currently they know they don’t even have to make it to the U.K, they just have to make it to a British coastguard boat!

Okay, I can understand migrants fleeing places like Syria, I’d probably do the same myself but come on, France is a safe country, isn’t it?

Yet again I’m watching the news on TV this morning and the reporter has met up and held an interview with a dinghy in the channel containing about 20 *Syrians (*or so they claim) heading for the U.K. Over 4,000 migrants have entered the U.K. this way this year so far. How much is that going to cost the public purse - once they’re here, we have a duty to feed, clothe, house, educate and look after any health issues they have, often with an expensive translator involved. Perhaps we could set a policy where we accept a certain number of genuine migrants per year but the application must be made while in France and ALL those who try to cross the channel illegally should be actively returned, even if they are 100 yards from the U.K?
One must be careful in distinguishing between migrants and asylum seekers.

And it's not about France being a safe country or not...

As has been explained before, most who come to the UK come here because they speak English...

And the streets aren't exactly 'paved with gold' as far as to what they can claim!
(quite a few of our indigenous lot get far more than what they're really entitled to or what they actually need)

Most are fleeing war torn regions, some of which we helped create/fuel and some that we did not...

Between '33 and '39 Britain welcomed over 10,000 Jews a year despite there being 'safe countries' en route...

Was that policy wrong?

One must be careful in distinguishing between migrants and asylum seekers.

And it's not about France being a safe country or not...

As has been explained before, most who come to the UK come here because they speak English...

And the streets aren't exactly 'paved with gold' as far as to what they can claim!
(quite a few of our indigenous lot get far more than what they're really entitled to or what they actually need)

Most are fleeing war torn regions, some of which we helped create/fuel and some that we did not...

Between '33 and '39 Britain welcomed over 10,000 Jews a year despite there being 'safe countries' en route...

Was that policy wrong?
Genuine refugees should be welcomed, but those who jump the queue shouldn't.
https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Jewish_refugees_at_Croydon_airport_1939.jpg
Picture of illegal immigrants being deported.

Ellal ....oh dear oh dear .......your argument is frankly pathetic.
Emotive points which have no bearing on the facts of the problem, statements which are purile.

They are illegals wether migrants or asylum seekers.
And it is about them fleeing a safe country ......France.
I speak English that means I can act illegally according to you.
The streets are paved with gold ...do the french bus them to hotels ?
Rights of Indigenous residents and what they can claim ? A silly spurious viewpoint that has no bearing on illegal invaders.
Right now they are not fleeing war torn regions they want a better life in England than France, France is not a war torn region. Asylum is given in the first safe country they reach..... they don't want that they want a life here.
Another emotive irrelevant point.
Where in Europe was it safe to be Jewish during ww2 ? Nowhere.

quoting from HERE about the picture at Croydon airport

The refugees then began to beat the sides of the plane and hammered at the windows, breaking one of them.

The Danish pilot refused to take them. "They are crazy," he said to the police sergeant. Later he told me he was afraid they would commit suicide by throwing themselves out of the door of the plane.

Instead of flying out they were taken to a police station again, this time in handcuffs, with the intention that they would be put on a boat to Denmark in the morning.

In this particular story, there was a happy ending. As its name implied, the German Jewish Aid Committee dealt only with helping German Jews. Nevertheless it decided 'as a special measure to provide the necessary guarantees' for the eleven Jewish Czech refugees in question. They were given three month visas

Not hard is it. If you cannot safely force them to return whilst in their boats, then collect and process them as quickly as possible.

One problem is that we use the EU database to fingerprint these migrants so knowing where their initial entry into the EU was and to return them there.

Post Brexit we will not have access to this.

Process them as quickly as possible - I am not sure what the time frame that we should aim for but I suspect it should be limited to a few months and if they have no legitimate claim - send them back to their country of origin.

Ellal ....oh dear oh dear .......your argument is frankly pathetic.
Emotive points which have no bearing on the facts of the problem, statements which are purile.

They are illegals wether migrants or asylum seekers.
And it is about them fleeing a safe country ......France.
I speak English that means I can act illegally according to you.
The streets are paved with gold ...do the french bus them to hotels ?
Rights of Indigenous residents and what they can claim ? A silly spurious viewpoint that has no bearing on illegal invaders.
Right now they are not fleeing war torn regions they want a better life in England than France, France is not a war torn region. Asylum is given in the first safe country they reach..... they don't want that they want a life here.
Another emotive irrelevant point.
Where in Europe was it safe to be Jewish during ww2 ? Nowhere.
oh dear oh dear...

'Tis your argument that is 'frankly pathetic'...

"Where in Europe was it safe to be Jewish during ww2 ? Nowhere."

You're quite right...

Now maybe you can tell us when WWII began?
1933?
1934?
1935?
1936?
1937?
1938?

Or 1939? :rolleyes:

As for the rest of the guff you have posted, then it is worse than laughable...
But par for your course (y)

Not hard is it. If you cannot safely force them to return whilst in their boats, then collect and process them as quickly as possible.

One problem is that we use the EU database to fingerprint these migrants so knowing where their initial entry into the EU was and to return them there.

Post Brexit we will not have access to this.

Process them as quickly as possible - I am not sure what the time frame that we should aim for but I suspect it should be limited to a few months and if they have no legitimate claim - send them back to their country of origin.
That is the logical approach...

Of course the gammons would rather see the channel full of bodies to act as a 'deterrent'!

But as to returning them, as you say it is normally to the country they first arrived in...

But if we leave with a no deal, where does that leave the UK as regards the 'Dublin Regulation'?

Does the EU abide by it given the UK would be a 'third country', or does the UK try and enforce it even though it no longer wishes to follow the 'rules of the club'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back