Min door height in a commercial unit?

Here is another pic up above the door.
As you can see standard plasterboard/stud wall. Approx 300mm void above where the stud walls end then its just the metal roof, All completely open above all the rooms and offices (no fire breaks).

Attachments

• IMG_1369.jpg
    IMG_1369.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 173
Sponsored Links
It has some wool brushpile strips around the frame but they don't go past/around the hinges and there is nothing between the 2 doors or under them
Here is an inside pic, The doors would be around 15 years old.
When you say "wool brushpile strips" do you mean tacked-on draught-proofing strips or cold smoke seal/intumesent strips (which need to run around either three sides of the door or the casing and are placed in the centre of the edge)? Worth noting that on leaf and a half or two leaf solutions (like yours) the non-closer door must have bolts top and bottom and be fitted with a plain intumescent strip on the leading edge. In that instance the maximum permissible gap between leafs is 4mm. These days it's normal to have two hinges at the top of the door (bottom ones 150mm down from top hinges) which reduces the strain on the hinges caused by the closer. Oh, and beware altering really old fire doors - up until the 1990s they could and did contain asbestos.

I have fitted Pyro glass for a loft conversion before so I have the specs for the glass, beading sealing of the edges etc although that was around 3 years ago before Grenfell.
The "new" (i.e. current) fire door regs came-in well before Grenfell and haven't been amended - in fact the legislation goes by the catchy name of "The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order: 2005" (or the RRO or FSO). The other bit of relevant legislation is "BS 8214:2008 – Code of practice for fire door assemblies" (and I only know that because I'm looking at my fire door certification training notes whilst typing this). The fact that a lot of builders and joiners are only just starting to wake up to them now is, frankly, underwhelming. As is the numbers of high rise tower block council flat front doors you see on the telly that patently don't have compliant front doors.....

As you can see standard plasterboard/stud wall. Approx 300mm void above where the stud walls end then its just the metal roof, All completely open above all the rooms and offices (no fire breaks).
Can't be a fire door, then - no fire compartment to protect so why have a fire door?

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't be a fire door, then - no fire compartment to protect so why have a fire door?

That was my main thinking on the whole thing but I generally work on domestic not commercial so wanted to check.
I was thinking along the lines of if we were to completely replace the doors we would need to bring them upto modern specs.
Also that if we were to get building control or a fire safety officer in to confirm what is needed they are probably going to say everything needs updating if we change the door (walls, ceilings etc).

Customer is a friend of mine so I trying to come up with the cheapest option that wont get them into any trouble.

Sponsored Links
Fire doors have to be in a fire resisting enclosure yes , but
surely the thing is not what it is but what it should be ! There should be a floor plan showing fire doors and protected escape routes.
the customer has informed me that there are 2 other fire escapes with metal stair cases at either end of the building.
That doesn't really tell you anything , are these doors on a protected escape route ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back