Determine block wall height so lintel height is correct

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all.

Ive ripped down the stud wall around the doorway to my porch and intend to re build it with blocks and a lintel across the opening.

What would be the best way to determine the height of the blocks so the lintel sits at the right height for the door frame?
I read the lintel should rest on full blocks not cut blocks, so i didnt want to build up to height then realise i need to cut a block down when i get to the lintel.
Also assuming id need to cut a block, where is the best place to put it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What if say i put up the first 8 blocks then realise block 9 underneath the lintel needs to be a slither? Is it just a case of using your noggin and putting the slither at say block 8 so block 9 can be a whole one? Or is there an actual method people use?

Presumably the lintel will be carrying v. little weight, so in practice it doesn't matter what you mortar in to level with the top of the frame eg a brick/a bit slate or roof tile/a piece of cut paving slab etc.

Sponsored Links
External door frames are 9 course of blocks and then a brick for the bearing.

Tony:
Thats great thanks, its about a course and a half of block above the lintel far below what it can take, hopefully ill get away with a brick.

Woody: its internal. When looking at other internal doors in the house they are 8 and a bit blocks tall (these have stud and plasterboard above the opening).
This however will be starting from the porch floor which is a step down. Looks like it will be just under 9 blocks tall.

It's a lining then not a frame. The door to a porch (ie the front door) should be an external grade door and frame to comply with building regulations and so would be 2100 high. If it's a a 2010 lining that works blocks and the lintel is placed a little higher than the lining.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back