Min headroom on a door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are there regulations specifying this?

Currently have an externally accessed 'garden store' room adjoing the house.
Thinking of creating a new access internally which would pass under the stairs, so max headroom about 5' 8. The room would be used as a storeage/utility room (may add a sink).

Possible or a non-starter?

Sponsored Links
My third bedroom is partly in the eaves as the garage is underneath and the side of the house come s down to single story height.
From the bedroom there is a door into a small box room which was attic like with bare brickwork and exposed roof timbers, the door is about 5 feet high. That has now been panelled and insulated and the door removed but I have banged my head on it umpteen times, even though I am a short arse and have lived there a while

You could hang a flag type thing inside the doorway to encourage ducking

Sponsored Links
Not too low for me!
And I'm planning on living here. Selling, if ever, is a long way off.......

So my concern is just whether Building Control would have a problem signing off the work.

i would say as it not a habitable room or a corridor to a habbitable room but a storage area with possibly a sink it can be what you like
i think in an attic conversion its 2m but if the full clear width at the top off the stairs is a bit less at perhaps 1900 for all the central width and most off the edge your ok

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back