Min Stud size for Plaster board ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Min Stud size for Plaster board ?

Whats the min size for mounting plaster boards ?

Taken down a lath plaster wall & am left with uprights with a size of 1 1/2" wide & 1" thick, its a kitchen wall (outside) the rest of the room is still lath & we will be mounting wall units etc on both the bare wall & the existing lathe wall.

Trying to maximize space/time hence use the existing lath frame work which is in good solid condition.

Thanks for any help/advice,

Cheers,

Co.

Sponsored Links
there is no minimum size but practicality does sugest that anything less than 75x50mm (timber) is pushing it. less dynamic products such as metal stud will probably cope with sizes as small as 50mm thick.

plasterboard fixings will prevent anything less i'm afraid.

my advice, put 12mm ply over the studs and then plasterboard over that.. gives you something to fix your cabinets to..
i don't trust those "redi driver" plasterboard screws with cabinets..

for fixing to plaster board, i usually use a good quality red rawlplug.. the type that is almost solid plastic with wings to stop it turning..
the make is called "falcon".. i aquired several thousand of them when i was last one on a job i was subbieing at.. the boss told me to skip whatever was left in the site container..
needless to say most of it is now cluttering up my shed..

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, I will look into the Ply route ColJack as the hard work was done nearly 70 years ago with the existing frame work & it would be a shame to rip it down (was bad enough trasing the lath & plater down!) & nice one on the plugs :D

Co

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back