Mini Basin Mixer and Tails

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

A newbie here so be gentle...........

Hoping for a bit of advice. I have just bought a mini basin for a small cloakroom. It comes with a MM2 Mini Basin Mixer (S16.001) and this tap is supplied with two loose flexible tails, according to one description I have read, "easy fix".

The question I have is how on earth do you get any kind of tool up inside the tap to tighten the tails on to the tap? Is there some kind of special tool that I need? The bottom of the tap where the tails go up inside is only 30mm dia and the tail connections are 55mm up inside it.

Many Thanks, Keith.

Sponsored Links
You normally fix the flexible connections to the tap assy BEFORE dropping the tails down through the basin tap hole.Connections are then made to copper supplies.The tap is usually secured by a U shaped fitting which is secured by using a box or open ended spanner on the nut provided in the kit.
Depending on access,fit the tap before finally fitting the basin.

Yes, I understand that, the problem I have is how to fix the flexible connectors to the tap. How do I tighten them on to the tap?

I cannot get a spanner inside the tap housing to do it.

This shows the underside of the tap, it is about 55mm up to the holes where the flexible tails have to be connected the bottom of the tap is only 30mm diameter. So the question is how to tighten the tails once they have been done up finger tight?

Sponsored Links
Oh right I see your dilemma.Never come across those b4.The only thing I can suggest is after hand tightening the tails is to maybe use long nose pliers to finish off.The tails have O ring seals and I always apply silicone grease to aid sealing and they don't need to be super tight.Sorry about the confusion.

Thanks.

Yes the tails have two rubber o-rings on the end that connects into the tap. I'm beginning to think that they might only need hand tightening. The taps were described on one web site that I saw, as coming with "easy fit connecting hoses" perhaps that is what they mean.

I solved a similar problem with a high-rise tap, where the flexis disappeared up a 200mm long tunnel by dismantling the tap. With the valve body lifted out of the tap I fed the tails through the tap body, tightened the flexis, then reassembled everything.

Unfortunately, this particular tap will not dismantle in that fashion.

The point at which the threads are for the tails to be screwed in is brazed to the base of the tap housing.

OK. Just for any one in the future, I just put plenty of silicon grease on the o rings at the end of the tails and hand tightened them as far as I possibly could.

All installed and seems to be working well. Thanks for your advice guys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back