Mini Basin Tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, Can anyone offer me some advice on a mini basin tap. Basically, if the warm water runs, the tap movement, both on and off and towards hot or cold, starts to squeak, tighten up, then almost seize up. It has been suggested to me that it needs a new cartridge, but how can it be replaced? If indeed it can, I guess I need some special tool? Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
'@ the end of the day , it might be easier to replace it complete with a known make - eg. bristan - from a plumbers merchant

I understand what your saying, but it cost me £120 about two years ago and its made by MM2, so it's not exactly a cheapo.

I understand what your saying, but it cost me £120 about two years ago and its made by MM2, so it's not exactly a cheapo.

If you know the manufacturer, then you're in with a chance. I would be onto them, saying that 2 years for a £120 tap isn't good enough. Ask them what they can do for you. Nothing to lose. :idea:

http://www.mm2ltd.com/

Sponsored Links
Partial success anyway. I haven't got the purchase receipt but,

Did as suggested. They are sending me a replacement cartridge. Apparently, I need an "external box spanner" to take the old one out. The six cut outs for this are visable in the second picture. What the heck is an "external box spanner" :confused:

They have also said, that they are not torqued very tight, and a good pair of grips, with a sturdy cloth (to protect from scratching) around the outside of the locking nut will probably free it. mmmmmmmm

Good result. Always worth a try with the manufacturers, especially if it's only just out of guarantee. Cartridge probably only cost them a couple of quid anyway.

Looking at the tap, a box spanner would fit over the cartridge, and it's corners would fit into the small triangular cutouts that you can see in the metal of the locking ring in bottom image. The spanner would then be turned to undo the ring allowing the plastic cartridge to be removed.

Try some pump pliers on the upper metal ring. If as they say it's not too tight, you should be able to undo it.

Perhaps a better tool to use would be a rubber strap wrench. This will grip the outside of the locking ring and won't damage the chrome finish. Make sure the surface is free from grease/soap scum to help it grip.

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.as...oductlisting&gclid=CPbx6N6J17QCFePHtAod3TsAbA

Some good ideas there, Many Thanks.

I'll look for a box spanner of the right size while I'm waiting for the cartridge, but the strap wrench looks a good option as well. Cheers for that.

Sorry forgot to "close" this.

Basically, the strap wrench idea didn't work, as the chamfer on the top didn't allow it to grip without slipping off.

I made sure it was fully dry, put some elastaplast type tape around it and used a pair of grips, it loosened quite easilly in the end. Popped in the new cartridge and tightened it up the same way.

Many thanks for the ideas. Job Done. Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back