Mini CU in Garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently the power to my garage goes directly into a socket and then is distributed to the lighting circuit. Obviously this is less than ideal. So im looking for a reasonable quality 4 way CU to feed into. THis will give me seperate MCB'sa for the power and lighting and allow me to add a radial for the intruder system and garage door. I should add the supply is currently already controlled from a 13A fuse spur. Which I also know is less than ideal and will be rectifying in the near future.

All advice welcome

Sponsored Links
You need to work out what the total loading and type of loading of your garage then look at the supply. I suspect if the supply goes straight to a socket it might be a DIY twin and earth special. We need rather more information - is the garage remote from the house; how far away etc etc.

Personally I'd always use a separate way from the consumer unit and run the supply in SWA to an RCD protected "garage unit" to supply a power circuit and a lighting circuit. Depending on the use within the garage I might go for a 4 or 5 way unit to take extra circuits.

Have a search on this forum - about every twentieth post is about shed or garage supplies - I'm surprised there are any sheds or garages without power - there is plenty of good advice here.

Cheers for the reply creme egg you are correct at presnet it is run in T and E. But ill definitely be swapping that for 6mm armoured just wanted to install the mini CU as a stop gap really. Everything is fused down to 13A form the spur already so there is no issue there. When it comes to the SWA installation it will be back to the CU and properly calculated.

Should have read your post more fully then I would have remembered the spur comment. Good that you are going for a decent sized SWA although without distance; load; voltage drop and other correction factor details it may be that 6mm is not enough. Always err on the high side - keeps life simple to allow for growth - easier than re-running with thicker cable in a years time.

If it's a remote garage such work is of course notifiable under Part P - again plenty of similar items on the forum.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back