Mini Digger Or Sod Cutter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I was wondering of you can help. I am planning on getting flagstones laid on the pictured grass area. Obviously I will need to cut the grass before removing it and the soil in preparation for hardcore sub base however I have been told I should hire a mini digger to do this as it is quite a large area however I came across a sod cutter,

Would this suffice in removing the area needed in preparation for a sub base and then of course the paving?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
A turf cutter will only cut around 40mm of sod, After it has cut this it will be useless for the rest. For example if you are laying paving you will need at least 75mm of hardcore sub base perhaps 40mm of bedding plus flags at maybe 25-50mm.

All in all for most paving jobs that are on former lawns i dig off about 7''. The turf is the hardest bit to remove but once its gone digging with just a longtail shovel is pretty easy. If its under 20m/sq i often dig by hand. a turf cutter does help a good bit.

A mini digger is much more suitable as it can remove the lot at once. Digging a trench with a mini digger is a doddle for even a total novice but trying to dig a flat level area a consistant depth is much more difficult and takes some skill and experience. Consider hiring a man and machine type deal so you can operate a small dumper while he digs etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back