Mini IR thermometer for balancing radiators

Sponsored Links
I haven't used that exact model, but it is capable of giving you a temperature on many surfaces accurate to a degree or two either way. The "resolution" is meaningless. It will show you a temperature including tenths of a degree but it is only accurate at best to a degree or so. The specs for this model indicate plus or minus 2C accuracy, worse when it is very cold. Quite poor for an IR thermometer but probably good enough for radiators.

Perhaps the biggest drawback is that it isn't very accurate on metal surfaces, but paint is OK. Even white paint is OK, much better than bare metal. You can put electrical tape on metal surfaces if you need to measure them, but that isn't so great either.

The other drawback of these small models is indicated by the "Field of view" specification. This is the size of the object that is being measured, given as a proportion of the distance you are away from it. At a foot away you are reading the general temperature of an area a foot wide. Better get close! More expensive models have better optics and can read areas a tenth of that size or even smaller.

Sponsored Links
Yes, I know this is an ancient thread, but I thought I'd add my experience in case anyone comes across it when Googling (like I did).

I had a cheapie (£30) IR thermometer which I'd bought for work lying around, so thought I'd give it a go after replacing the leaky TRVs and LSVs on my rads. It's similar to Screwfix 44292.

I found it works really well and much more quickly than clip-on thermometers.

The "trick" for me was to use it on the painted copper pipework immediately below the LSV and TRV, to have the front face of the thermomemter actually touching the pipe, and to slowly "scan" the thermometer back and forth across the pipe until the highest reading was displayed. Forget the laser, it's useless in this application!

That way, I got dependable, repeatable readings that corresponded exactly with the clip-on thermometers, but in about 5 seconds as opposed to a few minutes.

Hope that's of some help to another DIYnot DIYer one day.

Chris.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back