Minimum distance between window and door opening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a minimum distance between a window and a door opening for building regs? Built in brick. See attachment.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    9.1 KB · Views: 1,431
Sponsored Links
The window and the door can be integral - so the minimum distance is minimal

Can you be more detailed - even your picture is cryptic.

I have created a new structural opening 900mm wide in a cavity wall. I have 2off 100x65x1200 lintels above 150mm bearing either side. There is only a brick width between the new opening and an existing window so I wanted to check if the BCO will pull it up.

I have created a new structural opening 900mm wide in a cavity wall. I have 2off 100x65x1200 lintels above 150mm bearing either side. There is only a brick width between the new opening and an existing window so I wanted to check if the BCO will pull it up.

You should have a single lintel, which will stabilise the pier. The pier is too slender for practical purposes and will be affected by the door slamming.

Sponsored Links
So the BCO visited today and as expected he pulled up the wall width between the door opening and the window opening. In case someone finds it useful the minimum wall width should be the width of the window opening + the width of the door opening divided by 6. So for me this was (1900+900)/6=466mm or 2 brick widths.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back