Minimum height of patio doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are planning an extension on a tight budget (who isnt!) and are mainly building to the side of the house. However we do want to create a kitchen/diner at the back of the house with a 2.5m wide patio doors into the garden in the old part of the house. The issue is that the roof is a long sloping roof and the height at the back of the house is only about 1.85m below the current window lintel. Our builder is suggesting that this is too low to get a patio door in comply with building control. There are over options but all they all require removing the old part of the roof that we didn't really want to do.

I cant find any specific rules about patio door heights in old houses there will be a exit to the back of the house in the new extension so fire exit stuff would be covered. Is our builder being too over cautious? Any comments gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Is 1.85 the structural opening? Or the clear opening that could be achieved? Anyway1.85 is way too low IMO, there is no minimum in dwellings, consider also selling, undoubtedly some buyers will be put off.

So the opening from floor to the bottom of the current lintel is 1.95 but I am guessing I can get a thinner lintels for only a 2.6m span to gain me 10mm or so. thanks sounds like my builder is right:)

Sponsored Links
Your builder is technically wrong. There is no minimum door height. It's true that doors at 1.85 will look a little squat, but there's nothing you can do about that is there. Assuming you're no taller than 6' 1", it should be fine.

Presumably there is an existing timber wall plate picking up the rafters?
Slip a 100 x 75 steel angle under the wall plate - that should do it if the roof span back to the house wall is not too great.

Could you not raise the roof just over the doors and maintain a 2.1m head?
I.e. create a dormer roof, or cat slide?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back