Minton tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

I have a minton tiled floor in the hall which i need to relay. The tiles have cement on the underside and around the edges which i need to remove before relaying. Is there an acid solution of some sort that i can put the tiles into that will disolve the cement as i don't want to damage them by chipping away at the cement with a hammer and chisel.

Sponsored Links
It is pretty much impossible to remove the cement-based adhesive from the tile "biscuit". Anything strong enough to weaken the cement will no doubt also destroy the tile.

If you are absolutley insistant on re-fixing these tiles (and I guess you are as they are Minton) then find a good professional tiler - I mean a VERY good professional tiler - who will be prepared to re-fix these. It's an awful job but it can be done. You should expect to pay your fixer a premium though as this is not for the faint-hearted!

Around the edges should only be grout, and that normally comes away pretty cleanly by hand.

I do wonder though how you have managed to lift them all without breaking them. When I fix floor tiles they stay stuck!

A photo of the back of the tile would help if possible.

Can be done with a bit of time and mess.
Last year I did a quarry tile floor,re-claimed quarries,customergot them from e-bay. Got them a grinding cup wheel. Over 1000 tiles. Got them clean on the back.
Dust mask & goggles essential
http://www.diatools.net/p_cups.htm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back