Relaying used floor tiles

jcp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to relay ceramic tiles (330mmx330mm) in a hall to correct a slight fall (15-20mm) in floor level across the room. Don't ask why, just accept I have to do it! I have removed about 20 tiles, soaked them in a water bath for a few days, and then cleaned off about 4mm of tile cement from about 8 of them - but it is very tedious and time consuming. Given that I need to raise the remaining tiles up when I relay them, is there any reason why I cannot just leave the old cement on? Presumably new tile cement sticks to old tile cement. It would save me from either using a thick bed of new tile cement, or else laying a preliminary layer of floor levelling cement.

Has anyone got any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Hi, I can't see much of an issue myself but i'm not pro tiler. I'd try to score some parts so it will bond better to the new adhesive. I'd use a multi tool with a grout removing blade with care or a small angle grinder outside.

Thanks - I’ll go for that!

My local Tile dealer wants me to clean them right back - but it takes ages.

I’ve had to do other things for a while, but will be back on the tiling soon.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back