Mira Excel EV - part 2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
okay, I've fitted the Mira, opened service valves fully, expected a hot powerful shower.

It started cold, warmed up to a fair temperature, then the flow decreased slowly and then shower shut off completely.

My boiler is a Glow-worm Compact 80E (combi)
I never fitted non return valves, could this be my problem ?

Please don't tell me to get a new boiler, that has to wait a few more years.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I've never had this problem with the Mira Excel and I never fit non-return valves. How far did you turn the excel on? Did it keep running but cold or did the flow stop altogether?

Hi Dave,
i turned it on to about number 5, turned the flow control fully from left to right, it was cold for about 20 seconds then warmed. I then turned it up from number 5 to 8. The flow rate started to slowly decrease.

I then clicked the red button and put the shower onto number 9. The flow increased to a powerful hot flow for about 20 seconds and then shut off.

Any ideas please ? She'll kill me if i've wasted 300quid !!

John.

ps - the bolier is a modulating boiler

You still haven't said if it stops flowing or just runs cold :rolleyes: I would check for partial blockages in the feed pipes to the shower if the flow stops, if it runs cold then could be boiler problems or maybe a faulty shower, remember just because something is new doesn't mean it works!

Are your other hot taps still working ok and run hot for long periods?

Sponsored Links
the shower stops completely. As it does, i felt the hot pipe that feeds the shower and it's very hot (don't know if that helps)

i flushed out the pipes before installation so there shouldn't be blockages.

hot tap on the basin works well, it takes a while to get up to temperature but once there, runs for long periods.

Thanks for your help.

Clutching a straws a bit if there is no blockage! Are you sure the cold to it is mains fed as well? Is the combi mains fed and not from a storage tank in the loft? Very unlikely but has been known :eek:

When the shower stops can you still run other hot/cold taps in the bathroom whilst it is stopped?

:idea: This boiler suffers from the dhw diapragm getting holed then operating hw demand intermittent especially on low water flow may be worth checking that, also the dhw temp is adjustable via the pcb

Good point gazza but from my understanding of op the cold is stopping as well :eek:

loosing the hot can slow down the cold but also may be worth checking that the hot & cold inlets are fitted the correct way round, standard is hot on left, the cartridge can be reversed for hot on right.

Have you set the high/low pressure adjustment on the back with the red key.

Stan

right, after messing about adjusting the max temp setting, i've got the hot and cold flowing fine. The problem i have now is the temperature doesn't really get hot enough!

Can you please walk me through how to adjust the dhw on the pcb, i know where/what the pcb is but have never adjusted one before.

Hot/cold inlets are fitted the right way round

Stan, the red key... the only thing i've adjusted for high flow is the shower rose. Am i missing something ?

Thanks all

Have you removed the safety limit on the shower main knob that limits the shower temperature to around 48C?

i removed the temperature knob, unscrew the temperature hub and twisted the spindle anti-clockwise to increase the temp but still not really hot enough - even if i twist it as much as it will go- thanks

thanks gazza and dave for your help - i'm in your debt!
I'll give this a try.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back