Mira Excel MK 1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone. Newbie here and needs some help!!! I have a dripping Mira excel the solution for which is apparently a new cartridge costing about £100 plus fitting. Was in B&Q on sat and picked up a brand new mixer unit (no make on it) for £10 in a clearance bucket. So......can I just unscrew the Mira from the pipes coming through the wall and fit this new one??? Also if the pump is off do I need to disconect anything or turn water off anywhere. All advice really appreciated!
Mike

Sponsored Links
Unless the Bargain Bucket valve inlet pipes are the same distance apart as the Mira, you will have to do some alteration to the inlet pipes.

The pump may have some form of isolation valves on either its inlet or outlet - these will need to be turned off, as, even though the pump isn't operating with the power off, water will still come out of the pipes.

Luckily the fittings are exactly the same distance apart! Thanks for the info re the pump....will check it out. So is it really just a case of unscrew one thing and screw the new thing on?? There are no washers or anything inside the new fitting for example. But I do have some PTFE tape!!
Thanks very much for the help

Sponsored Links
You will need to check, when you remove the mira mixer valve, if the threads on the inlets of the new one are the same. I would have thought that they will be, but you will soon notice if the nuts won't screw on smoothly by hand. If they do, you can wrap a couple of turns of ptfe around the olive that will be left on the protruding pipes, if you can get any on them :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back