Mira Platinum

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I hope someone can help with this. I have a Mira Platinum shower with a Digital Mixer High Pressure/Combi Valve. For a long time now the shower has not worked, I get a small trickle when I turn it on and if I put one of the hot taps in the bath or sink on full whack then the flow increases but still not to full flow. I have replaced the batteries in the remote control and have even used a different remote. Today I fitted the required flow restrictor to the hot inlet as I realised there wasn’t one fitted in to the cartridge. The problem is still the same. The unit seems to be making noises as if valves are operating and the temperature does seem to adjust as required. The outlet simply comes straight out and is directly in to the shower head in the ceiling. If anyone has experienced this problem I would be very grateful for some help. I don’t really want to go down the route of replacing the mixer unit as these are very pricey. Other info, the shower was fitted before I moved in and worked for a year or so. The hot supply is a combo boiler situated in the same area in the loft. I’ve also had the boiler replaced just over a year ago but the shower wasn’t working for a long tome before this anyway.
Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
You need to work your way back.

1st thing would be to check the filters. Then remove the shower head, test, remove the shower hose, test then it's isolate the unit and test the inlets.

I’ve checked the filters and I know that the shower head is clear enough because when I turn the hot bath tap on max, the flow increases at the shower to about 1/2 to 3/4 the acceptable amount. This is the strange thing is that I can almost get the shower working properly if I have the hot bath or sink tap blasting out.

Sponsored Links
I had exactly the same problem on one of my customers showers...strangely faffing around with a basin tap would sometimes get the shower working.
I could find nothing wrong with the installation and suspected there was an issue with the stepper motor valve block and relieving the pressure (ie. opening a tap) would sometimes allow the valve to operate.
This was on an unvented cylinder ie. high pressure.
When you cost out the parts either go for a Mira fixed price deal or bin the shower as the parts are truly extortionate when you realise you might need both the valve block and control module.
These showers really are a racket considering the manufacturing cost is around £50.
In the end my customer had 2 visits from Mira and AFAIR they replaced the valve block twice and the control module.
The early remote controllers were poorly designed and allowed water ingress so it's worth checking too.

Thanks for the replies. I’ve had a look at prices of components and I’d agree that it’s extortionate. It also looks like they’ve discontinued the valve block too so I think I will just give up. I don’t really want to mess about fitting a different shower and have to do a load of plumbing/ chasing pipes etc, does anyone have experience of the Bristan Jute ceiling fed shower or anything similar?
BTW I’m new to this forum and it was great to get replies so quickly. So thanks again.

The Jute Twinline looks like it would save labour and is a simple solution. Bristan are well known and spares are available.
However when it comes to spares they are selling the wax element (the thermostatic part that gradually becomes lazy) separately than the valve block....and neither are particularly cheap.
You do get a 5 year warranty though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back