Mirror Ball Installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to mount a mirror ball on the ceiling. Its a 12" Mirror Ball. I don't really want a motor, but I'm not sure how to go about mounting it so that it can spin without one. Can anybody help?

Sponsored Links
First of all, you need to purchase an afro wig and a tank top. :D

well if you dont have a motor how are you going to spin it? or is it for some "test project"

Sponsored Links
Well, it has to have some momentum of its own.

I'm not sure about this, but I don't think they had motors on them in the 70's, so with a good old spin from me to start it off it must go on for a while, right?

The main reasons I dont want a motorised one is the noise that will come from it and the wires I'll have to put along the ceiling and wall to have it plugged into the mains.

Please, feel free to tell me that I'm completely wrong (if I am wrong, that is!)

MetallicHedgehog said:
Please, feel free to tell me that I'm completely wrong

ok, you are wrong.

i am not sure of the correct physics but it has to do with momentum and kinetic energy (not to mention inconveiance of getting on a step ladder to spin it)

you must realise that if you spin it how fast will you spin it? too fast and everyone will be sick too slow and it will soon stop.(mirror balls rotate at an average speed of 3 rpm, and although they are slow they are also very quiet)

i dont seem to recall at come dancing a bloke coming out with a big step ladder to spin the ball.

you are not going to tell me you are going to shine a torch at it are you?

if you still want to do it, you should do it once agreed?

lift floor boards in room above, fix rotator to ceiling joist, poke cable through ceiling connect to lighting circuit, light ball with pin spots also from lighting circuit

once its done you will nevr have to worry about it

alternatively you can get a table mounted kit, cone with ball on top, one pinspot

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back