Mirror heated pad installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I purchased a mirror heated pad for the bathroom, installation says connect it to the light switch.

Lighting set up: i have a light switch circuit which is rcd protected from the main consumer unit. The wiring is as from light switch to four down lights. Can I create a new junction between the light switch and down lights and add in my heat pad? So it would be light switch > heated pad > down lights, keeping the heated pad in the light circuit.

Would I need a fcu even though my lighting circuit is rcd protected?

I want the heat pad to come on when I switch on the bathroom lights. The heat pad is from screwfix.

Thanks in advanced.

Sponsored Links
I purchased a mirror heated pad for the bathroom, installation says connect it to the light switch.
Does it really?

Lighting set up: i have a light switch circuit which is rcd protected from the main consumer unit. The wiring is as from light switch to four down lights. Can I create a new junction between the light switch and down lights and add in my heat pad? So it would be light switch > heated pad > down lights, keeping the heated pad in the light circuit.
That depends entirely on whether there is a neutral present at the switch. Traditionally there isn't, but more recent practices see the lighting circuit looping through the switches, not the light fittings. At some point the "traditional" method will become unusual, but I don't think we are there yet.

You should learn about how your switch is probably wired.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:Lighting-Circuit-layouts

No.

I want the heat pad to come on when I switch on the bathroom lights.
Then just connect it to the lights.

Please be aware of the rules for concealed cables: [wiki]electrics%3Awalls[/wiki]

Fuses and RCDs are completely different things. Fuses protect against overload. RCDs protect against unbalance due to earth leakage.

FCUs are not used on lighting circuits anyway.

Thanks for the info ban-all-sheds and winston1.

Its looping at the light switch as suspected (new build property).

Most wiring will be consealed behind the mirror but unable to bury it at 50mm>. Part of the wire will then lead to the loft within the 150mm safe zone. The mirror will be stuck to the wall, so won't be able to remove it. Would this be acceptable?

Sponsored Links
If the wiring is concealed behind the mirror and the mirror is unmovable, then it cannot be compliant to the regulations, unless all joints made behind the mirror are of maintenance free method.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back