Mis-informed quote of the month

What if I can’t remove my mains lead?
Cut off the mains cable about 3 inches (7.5cm) from where it enters your equipment and wire on a male IEC plug as shown.

What about the remaining few inches of old flex?

It'll form a full wavelength aerial at c. 3.9 GHz ...

In the meantime the old mains lead with a 13A plug at one end and bare wire at the other will make a nice toy for a child to play with.

Sponsored Links
We all I am sure make comments tongue in cheek. I was working in BT buildings and needed to do some drilling in the battery room. Arranged ventilation and hung the gas detector from ceiling. My boss told me it should be on floor. Where I pointed out hydrogen gas is lighter than air. Oh don't think you need to worry about that it not dangerous he replied. At which I said have you never heard of a hydrogen bomb. Oh yes he said and walked off.

I never did admit to him that I know splitting an atom was quite different to it burning as in the airship. And I bet he has since realised how I conned him.

We all do it. "Straight crank shafts", "Leather pistons", the list goes on. How many long waits, or sky hooks however the latter does exist they are for lifting sheet steel and have cams to grip it.

But some one will believe what we say as a joke and repeat it as fact.

I was told off for telling the driver of a fork lift that the brakes had worn out because he was using them too much and he should put it in reverse instead. In case the driver had believed what I had said. In fact it was correct method it had regenerative braking. Fact can be stranger than fiction!

I came across an "electrician" once, he had done his apprentiship with the council way back in the day, so long ago that he would get a bus to somewhere to drill a hold by hand, that would be the days job. That was all the training he had, he was clueless, he would pick up little snippets of info off of people at wholesalers and beleive them to be "regs". One prime example was that you couldn't have more that two sockets on a 20A radial circuit! I'm sure he is stilll working as a SE spark now :eek:

Sponsored Links
One prime example was that you couldn't have more that two sockets on a 20A radial circuit!
Even that's wrong as that'll be only 10A per socket. If you plugged a kettle into one of them it'll take an age to boil.

The mention of the electrical con-man Russ Andrews reminded me of this...

I was in a furniture shop t'other day where the manager told me, with a straight face, that a particular manufacturer had a philosophy of not using any metal parts in bedroom furniture because 'they cause transformers in lights to make fields which disrupt sleep patterns'.

I told him to stop spouting nonsense, and left.

Stupid.
Whatreally matters is cables and flexes should be straight or lightly radiused .

No knots.

Lumpy Lektrik plays havoc with washing machines

I came across an "electrician" once, he had done his apprentiship with the council way back in the day, so long ago that he would get a bus to somewhere to drill a hold by hand, that would be the days job. That was all the training he had, he was clueless, he would pick up little snippets of info off of people at wholesalers and beleive them to be "regs". One prime example was that you couldn't have more that two sockets on a 20A radial circuit! I'm sure he is stilll working as a SE spark now :eek:

Something like that might have been the case ... for 15A sockets!

A welder once said to me his extension lead wasn't working. I pointed out that someone had parked a forklift on it so the electricity couldn't get through - same as a hose isn't it?
Funny watching him get the forklift moved and try again!

I was told that telephones didn't work on electricity.

"because they carry on working even during a power cut"

He didn't believe me when I told him that telephone exchanges had batteries.

My father was a self employed sparky - I remember when he'd done a rewire a customer ringing up and complaining that the switch at the bottom of his stairs was on upside down and the one at the top was too - "but only sometimes" ... you can probably work out why. Best part was the guy was a teacher, you'd have hoped he could have worked that one out for himself wouldn't you?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back