Voltage Drop calculation...

It therefore seems that if the external impedance were appreciably different from that figure, the circuit length limits would be appreciable different for VD and disconnection considerations. Am I wrong?
No, you aren't wrong, although people don't [CYA](usually)[/CYA] worry about the external L-N loop impedance, figuring that if Ze is OK then that will be too. It'd be the same for TN-C-S supplies anyway, and for TN-S and TT it would be the same as it would be if the supply were converted to TN-C-S. PFC is established to make sure that the current won't be too much over the "at least" value, but that's it.

Sponsored Links
It's only when you try to really understand something you realise how little you know...most people attempting DIY electrics know "you use 2.5mm for rings and 1.5 for lights with type B MCBs" but not many I;m guessing know why or their limitations.
Which is why I always point out to people attempting DIY is that that level of ignorance is unacceptable.

Out of interest, if (the qualified of..) you were extending a ring main for a house extention, how would you calculate whether the new ring was going to be in length? Would it be done on the existing resistance of the ring then calculate the additional and then, during install, test/prove that it's still within tollerance on resistaqnce and therefore must be on length??
(I'm basing this assumption on that the important factor for current capacity and voltage drop is resistance which in itself is made up of various factors, one of which is length??)
Without an EIC you can trust you should measure the ring to find its resistance and then work out if your proposed addition will push it over the edge.

Then, of course, test it after installation and before energising, to confirm.

It therefore seems that if the external impedance were appreciably different from that figure, the circuit length limits would be appreciable different for VD and disconnection considerations. Am I wrong?
No, you aren't wrong, although people don't [CYA](usually)[/CYA] worry about the external L-N loop impedance, figuring that if Ze is OK then that will be too. It'd be the same for TN-C-S supplies anyway, and for TN-S and TT it would be the same as it would be if the supply were converted to TN-C-S. PFC is established to make sure that the current won't be too much over the "at least" value, but that's it.
All very true, but perhaps I wasn't clear enough as to the point I was making. Eric's statement that one gets much the same answers for maximum circuit length whether one calculates on the basis of VD or disconnection considerations is essentially a 'coincidence' resulting from what the external L-N impedance is, or is taken to be. If I've done my sums right, the 0.96Ω external L-N impedance figure which seemingly results in the 'coincidence' is pretty high. With more realistic figures, one would end up with a calculated maximum circuit length (for disconnection) which was far beyond the maximum allowable in terms of VD.

Kind Regards, John

So if the customer is concerned about voltage drop and/or the power wasted in heating the cable ( 20 amps, 5 volt drop = 100 watts lost in the cable as heat ) then use 4 mm instead of 2.5 mm.
True, but to get 5V drop (hence 100W 'wasted') in 2.5mm cable with 20A, the cable would have to be nearly 300 metres long - hardly likley in a domestic environment!
Ironic that we "must not" waste heat in a 100 watt incandescent lamp providing light and radiant heat to a room ( reducing the need for other heating in the winter ) but we can waste 100 watts heating the underside of floor boards.
In terms of the big picture, I think it's much moire daft than that. The vast majority of electricity we use (other than that we use deliberately for heating) ends up as 'wasted' heat, regardless of what 'desired' things the load is actually doing - but one doesn't hear people getting very emotional about that!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Out of interest, if (the qualified of..) you were extending a ring main for a house extention, how would you calculate whether the new ring was going to be in length? Would it be done on the existing resistance of the ring then calculate the additional and then, during install, test/prove that it's still within tollerance on resistaqnce and therefore must be on length?? (I'm basing this assumption on that the important factor for current capacity and voltage drop is resistance which in itself is made up of various factors, one of which is length??)
With the caveat that I am not 'qualified' ... what should be apparent from this discussion is that, in practice, for domestic installations in most 'standard' houses (even those with extensions), it is very unlikely that you would get anywhere near the maximum length for a 2.5mm² ring final circuit. The "106 metres" we're talking about is almost exactly the length of a football pitch.

Kind Regards, John

And 99m to run a ring around the edge of the penalty box, not including across the goal.

Aaarrrgh!. Television programmes' favourite unit of measurement for us thickies - the football pitch.

33.gif

Aaarrrgh!. Television programmes' favourite unit of measurement for us thickies - the football pitch.
Not being a follower of such activities, I have to confess that, before I pressed 'submit', I had to ask Mr Google to confirm my gut feeling about how long a football pitch is :) Particularly since it's 2012, would "a bit more than twice the length of an Olympic swimming pool" be any more acceptable to you?

Kind Regards, John

My opinion is that the regulations and BS7671 set a minimum standard to ensure that cost cutting exercises by profit minded tradesmen do not result in electrical installations that are dangerous.

How true how many times does one refer to BS7671 to say this is not allowed. It saves many arguments where those paying want to cut corners.

If you calculate the limits for volt drop and for current to activate the B32 trip are nearly the same so if you get 160A or 1.43 ohm then the volt drop will be within limits.
Whether that is true surely depends upon what you assume (or measure) to be the L-N impedance external to the installation?

Yes agreed it was a long time ago that I ran the excel program seems I may have made some errors. I can't find my orignal calculations.

However to install a final ring and cross ones fingers that with 106 meters of cable it will pass I think is rather foolhardy. I have been where my foreman insisted 4mm cable was OK for a 32A sockets only to then have to re-run with 10mm as the shrink rap machine failed to work correctly due to volt drop. OK large factory not domestic but this is the whole point. Running other items from the same socket it was fine only the one machine was so dependent on correct voltage.

If you calculate the limits for volt drop and for current to activate the B32 trip are nearly the same so if you get 160A or 1.43 ohm then the volt drop will be within limits.
Whether that is true surely depends upon what you assume (or measure) to be the L-N impedance external to the installation?
Yes agreed it was a long time ago that I ran the excel program seems I may have made some errors. I can't find my orignal calculations.
I don't think there was anything wrong wiuth your VD calculations - and we know, using the IET's load assumptions, the maximum length of a 2.5mm² 32A ring final which will satisfy (5%) VD requirements is about 106 metres. The point is that, depending on the external L-N impedance, the maximum length that would satisfy disconnection time requirements could be very different from that. As you've said, to achieve satisfactory disconnection times with a B32 requires a total L-N loop impedance of 1.4375Ω (assuming 230V). If you take the example of TN-C-S, for which the extrenal L-N impedance will be equal to Ze, and assume that to be 0.35Ω, that leaves 1.0875Ω for the cable. By my calculation, that would allow a 2.5mm² ring final length of about 241 metres - very different from the maximum which would satisfy VD requirements.
However to install a final ring and cross ones fingers that with 106 meters of cable it will pass I think is rather foolhardy. I have been where my foreman insisted 4mm cable was OK for a 32A sockets only to then have to re-run with 10mm as the shrink rap machine failed to work correctly due to volt drop. OK large factory not domestic but this is the whole point. Running other items from the same socket it was fine only the one machine was so dependent on correct voltage.
Indeed, but that's because the 5% VD limit is arbitrary and, as the regs say, acceptable VD depends upon the equipment being supplied. Particularly in the case of machines involving motors, with very high start-up currents (hence very high VD during the start-up period),one might need much fatter cable than that which would result in <5% VD during 'normal operation'. Indeed, some machines might not even be able to tolerate a 5% drop during 'normal operation', so the circuit design would have to take this into account.

Kind Regards, John

Not being a follower of such activities, I have to confess that, before I pressed 'submit', I had to ask Mr Google to confirm my gut feeling about how long a football pitch is :) Particularly since it's 2012, would "a bit more than twice the length of an Olympic swimming pool" be any more acceptable to you?
I once went shopping for a petrol mower, and was asked the size of my lawn in tennis court units.

But that's Croxley Green for you....

No. Maybe tennis courts in people's gardens round there are more common than bowling greens?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back