mishap with plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had a go at patching up a hole in a ceiling, board and skim, and have discovered that i have managed to splash plaster onto the wifes prized bedside cabinet...

ive scraped off the mess but it has left a dark stain. the wood is unvarnished natural wood......

any ideas before she notices?

thanks

john

Sponsored Links
Pop a coaster over the stain, or remove all the lightbulbs in the room!!

Is the cabinet made from hardwood - oak maybe. Some hardwoods react when plaster comes into contact causing the dark stains you mention. Its caused by the Tannin in the wood reacting with iron from the water used when mixing plaster. The only remedy apart from the ones already mentioned is to lightly sand the surface and then reapply some oil.

You could even try rubbing it with wire wool, this leaves a very fine surface (smoother than sandpaper) but of course removes very little thickness.

Might the stain might just be from dampness? After a day it may dry out.

I too like an oil finish, like teak oil or Danish Oil which dries quite quickly.

Is there anything you can do to distract her in the bedroom? Or would you like me to come round and try :LOL:

Sponsored Links
A man should not live in fear of his wife. :rolleyes:
I know I'm a day late but, you should have just told her that you got a little plaster on the cabinet. If she moans just tell her to stop whining - if she persists, tell her that if she carries on, the hole in the ceiling won't be the only thing getting filled in. ;) Be a man and stand up to her dammit!

I took the advice and punched her in the mouth, she is currently staying at her mothers and has stopped me from seeing the kids.

I mean I took the advice and used wire wool to remove the stain then reapplied the teak oil to the affected area till the colour matched, then teak oiled the whole front.

Thanks for the help

JB

We love a happy ending! :D

p.s. I think all gcol's ex-wives had the same reaction ;)

johnbob said:
I took the advice and punched her in the mouth, she is currently staying at her mothers and has stopped me from seeing the kids.JB
Result!!!!!!!! Good man, she'll come back and give you dirty sex before long.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back