Missing drain cock on hot water cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing my hot water cylinder, but have found that there is no drain cock on the cylinder. Does any one know how I could drain it without flooding the house?

thanks,

Jas

Sponsored Links
After isolating the supply to the cylinder, i.e. shutting it off, and opening the bathroom hot tap, you remove the DHW outlet connection (at the very top) from the cylinder, poke one end of a garden hose down inside, and take the other end of the hose into the garden.

Suck on the end of the hose for a few seconds to set up a syphon, then stand back in amazement.

Clearly, to empty out all of the water, you'll need to ensure that the hose reaches the bottom of the cylinder.

Note that, if your cylinder is heavily scaled, you won't be able to lift it, even when empty of water. The answer to that is to cut off the top with tin snips, and bang/hack off the scale from inside.

Thats what I thought I would have to do, but I hadn't even considered the scale problem.

Thanks,
Jas

Sponsored Links
jas_dhanda said:
Thats what I thought I would have to do, but I hadn't even considered the scale problem.

Thanks,
Jas

And before you refill, make sure you fit a draincock for next time!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back