missing floor boards under bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey I am wanting to fit a new bath but after I removed the old bath a lot of floor boards are missing under it. There missing were the new bath legs will sit. Can I put plywood down were the floor is missing? is this strong enough to take the weight of the bath? The current floorboards are 1inch thick.

Sponsored Links
Better to replace with floorboards. It just depends on how much is missing. You will prob be ok with a sheat of ply but couldnt say without a pic

Its prob stronger. (If you are comparing the same thickness) But presumably you are thinking of placing it on top of existing boards (or whats left of them) so in some places there will be a gap between the plywood and joists?

Thats why I said pic would be good, if you make up this gap between joists and plywood then i dont see a problem.

Sponsored Links
Floorboards are usually 20- 25mm thick so don't tend to flex much and are usually made out of seasoned timber. Unless you are planning on putting down at least 18mm hardwood marine ply then floorboards are the best. Especially if you are planning to have the weight of a bath, the water and the person all riding on 4 concentrated points on the plywood.

wouldd be straight on to the joists. Can 25mm floorboards be purchased these days?

Thanks will I be able to purchase these from most timber merchants?

Thanks and there'll be no problem standing a bath on these? What wood wouldyou recommend to help spread the weight of the legs to go on top of the boards?

wouldd be straight on to the joists. Can 25mm floorboards be purchased these days?

Check the thickness of yours though. The ones in the bathroom I'm in the middle of doing are about 18mm. Victorian house, but these are late 1960's boards AFAIK. Some of the victorian boards in that part of the house are even thinner :)

As terry says, the boards will be fine, you could always cut a square piece of the floor board to sit the legs onto as well to spread the weight a little, depending on how small the feet are, if you need piece of mind.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back