Spreading weight of bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey do people usually put timber across were the bath legs fall so the weight of the bath is spread across more than 4 points on the floorboards. If so what size what would you recommend?

Sponsored Links
Others don't but I always think its a good idea!

I would suggest 18 mm marine ply about 300 mm x 600mm.

Tony

the idea is to go perpendicular to the floorboards so the weight is spread to several boards not just one. So it would depend which way you boards are running. you may need 1650mm or 650mm depending.

If the bath is going onto weyrock type floor then the timbers go perpendicular to the joist direction (spreading the weight to more than on joist)

SIMPLE

Sponsored Links
Thanks any idea how much 2 meters of 50mm x 100mm is ? Is spreading the weight by putting a strip of wood over the floor boards required then?

Floor boards, its best practice but if the boards are ok then its your call

Weyrock deffo should be done (as it has the structural properties of weetabix when wet)

Price wise £15??

never mind the wood - get some lengths of angle iron under the bath feet ;) cost ? not a lot if you gas axe an old bedstead

I`ve just chilled after the house move - started on the bathroom re fit (supposed to be a quick job before Xmas ) looked under the floor and found 10 feet of rotted floor plate from diabolical plumbing leaking for years - growing a mushroom :eek: luckily was "just" wet rot and it had dried out as the plumbing had sealed itself with crud - bloody rattled me though :cry: then the rest of the plate (sitting on the honeycomb sleeper wall ) had succumbed to woodworm FFS ! . Thanks to good friends and son in the building trades , jacked up the floors a tad and replaced the plate . Going to spray some worm treatment in the spring . Probably long after the b`ggers have gone , wonder if any of the neighbours have had them munching . I`ve got neighbours now , we`re nearer to civilisation , and they are very nice people too :D the lady next door made us a cake a couple of days after we moved in

Yes we`re in a 2 bed bungalow nearer to family and grandchildren`s school so we can walk them home . Typical 60`s spec build , but the heating bills will be good when I get the Gas Safe guy to fit a combi - now should I get a Worcester or a Vaillant ? ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back