Missing Spare

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some advice please...

Some Bar Steward stole the spare wheel from under my car.

Is a missing spare an MOT fail??

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
AFAIK having a spare isn't a requirement for an MOT. if it's there it has to be legal.

I would suggest you look on ebay for one - you might even get you own back.

Peter

Sponsored Links
I can't be the only one who hates these under the car spares. Awkward and dirty to get at if you need it, but not too awkward for scrotes to nick. Most of the frames that hold the wheel (on the ones I've looked at which is not many luckily) appear to be made from something only slightly thicker than coat hanger wire. Bring back the spare wheel well!

most new cars don't even come with a spare, just a can of tyre weld!!! Problem is that tyre shops won't fix a tyre if it's had weld in it!!!!!

most new cars don't even come with a spare, just a can of tyre weld!!! Problem is that tyre shops won't fix a tyre if it's had weld in it!!!!!
That must be extremely handy if you're unlucky enough to either rip a hole in a tyre or damage a rim somehow. i suppose you just call the nice man from the recovery service.
You'll be telling me next that new cars come without the tools to do a de-coke! :)

The spare tyre is not part of the MOT test. Even if you have a spare tyre and its bald, it is not checked.

therofre you can pass the MOT with the following:

1, no spare tyre
2, with a spare tyre but defective (eg bald)

http://www.ukmot.com/mot_check.asp

PC
Thanks for that info. I for one believed wrongly that the spare needed to be legal if present, and you could get "done" for having a duff spare. I'm sure I remember reading that info in some of the car mags way back.
Of course an illegal spare is useless if you're to stay within the law if you need to use it. . .

I was once pulled over by the police and received a ticket for carrying a bald spare,he correctly stated that had i got a puncture i may of put this spare on to get me out of trouble.

I was once pulled over by the police and received a ticket for carrying a bald spare,he correctly stated that had i got a puncture i may of put this spare on to get me out of trouble.
I wonder if the police were right in your case? I can't find anything official online to say that a spare has to be "legal" now.
Whether it was illegal at one time (and I'm sure I remember other people getting "done" for a dodgy spare years ago) and the law changed I don't know.

with my previous post, I am talking from experience. my old J reg fiesta had a bald spare for 4 years, and never got mentioned with the MOT. If the test station had of failed the car on the Spare, I would have referred them to the MOT Test handbook and complained.

Also, did you know that the reversing light is also not tested for the MOT.

Sponsored Links
Back