Spare wheel hanger - rusted solid

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Took me over an hour today to release the spare wheel from under my van, thankfully I was just checking it was working and was not stuck with a flat in the middle of nowhere!

Basically the bolt that holds the spare wheel carrier had seized with rust. I know this is a common problem with spares that are hung underneath vehicles; the salt and the elements soon rust any unprotected metal.

I have cleaned it all, and its working OK. But what would be the best way to protect the threads etc from the same.

Remember when the spare wheel is in place and the bolt is tightened up there is little or no access to coat or treat the moving parts!

Sponsored Links
Plenty of grease on the threads as you fit it back together is the order of the day here.....and when the thing is done up again, push some grease into the cavity of the fork thats there, right up to the bodywork.
Its best to use the thread at least once a year.
John :)

I would go with John, no substitute for grease except possibly waxoil, that sets and stays there but when you have to undo it again scrapes it off so you need to re coat it. Grease tends to creep so protects the whole area.

Peter

And grease it will be. I certainly agree with checking it out once a year, but doubt I will ever be that organised.

On the subject of grease, I have some water proof (marine) grease that I am reluctant to use as I loathe the smell of it (same smell as gearbox oil, if you get it on your skin it can take days to get rid of the smell) I guess it could be better than normal general purpose, but do you think it would be that much better. (i have both)

Sponsored Links
Use whatever comes to hand really - the waterproof grease is probably for outboard motors and the like so it should be first class stuff!
John :)

Back