Missus has damaged tiles...need ur help ASAP!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys,

i've got a bathroom which was originally tiled FULLY. The missus hated it and started smashing the tiles, whilst i was at work :eek: Now i'll have to do the tiling myself :cry:

I want to instead do a half tiled bathroom, although i also have a standard shower above the bath too.

Could anyone recommend me any modern tiling designs as i could only find modern FULLY TILED bathrooms.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
This isn’t the “General” Cesspit so I assume you must be joking! If my missus did that to get her own way & then expected me to put it right, I’d chuck her on the street! :eek:

If you’re joking then a bit more information about what you have by way of wall construction, what tiles you want & what you want to achieve is required but you need to understand & follow a few simple rules when tiling if you want to avoid disastrous & potentially expensive mistakes.

If you’re not joking, trade her in for a more civilised model or tell her to sort it out herself! :LOL:

Your missus has got good taste.

Your missus has got good taste.
Good taste in what, smashing up your own bathroom to get what you want! :rolleyes:

I agree fully tiled bathrooms are a bit “yesterday” but I wouldn’t have that, childish or what. When I let her back in off the street, I'd make her live with it until I had a mind to make it good. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much for helping me out guys.

To be honest, it was a bit of a joke that i exaggerate, sorry :oops: :LOL:

The truth is we had a small leak in our bath..we thought it was the enamel, which has started coming off, but to be honest we were planning to redo the bathroom anyhow, so she made the move whilst i was at work and damaged the tiling (in order to get me to sort it out for her ASAP!).

Right, its a standard victorian terraced stone-built house and the bathroom is approx 8ft by 8ft. I personally feel the bathroom is very cold during the winter due to it being fully tiled, so i want to reduce the amount of tiling, but without making it look like its gone back to the 80's/90's. Currently it has the standard 3 piece bathroom suite with a standard shower above the bath itself.

My main issues at the moment:-

1. What designs should i go for which has minimal tiling and is not out of date? (I like a warm look, but not dark! - so if colours can be stone or off-white? Maybe some dark tiles for contrast?)

2. How do i go about putting the tiles on? i.e. your tips, so that i don't make a disaster of it.

Thanks

Here are some photos (apologies about camera quality...taken on mobile phone):-

get a new wife.

preferably one who can do tiling.

White where it is wet - then skim and paint the rest. Then you can change your colour scheme whenever you like.

White where it is wet - then skim and paint the rest. Then you can change your colour scheme whenever you like.

Sorry mate, i don't know what you mean...you mean white tiles? How would the layout of tiles go? i.e. how many layers of tiles? upto where? which wall? do i cover the tiling above shower? how do i make the design look seamless/continous along shower>bath>sink>toilet?

You seem to be asking for advice on colour/design/style rather than what to do to rectify the mess the walls have been left in by your missus that will have to be sorted before you can do anything. Layout, colour & design very much depends on personal preference, you might get some ideas by visiting the bathroom sections in the DIY sheds & local trade tile outlets or looking in “home” magazines.

As for what you need to do to make good the walls, it would help if you could take some better quality photos & flip them through 90 degrees. You say stone walls, are they truly stone or brick? Are they solid stone/brick? Solid external walls in old properties can pose additional problems as they are prone to damp/condensation & neither conventional plaster or tile adhesive likes damp. Solid walls need to breathe & plastering materials have to be of the correct type or you may have problems with condensation/damp & you new plaster & tiles will eventually fall off. One way of treating solid external walls is to provide internal insulation & a vapor barrier under a new wallboard & tile directly onto that, plastering the areas you don’t want tiled. It’s generally not a good idea to plaster areas your going to tile as plaster has a weight restriction which will limit the size of tiles you can use & large format tiles are what are mostly desired these days.

The wall with the door & behind the bath looks like its timber lath (are those timber battens behind the plaster) & this will need to be either restored (can be expensive) or replaced/over boarded with new moisture resistant plasterboard in dry areas & waterproof tile backer board in the wet area at around the bath & inside the shower area. The bath area should be fully tiled to the ceiling behind the shower & the adjacent wall at least 1500mm along the bath. You could drop down to ½ tile height beyond this but it may be better to maintain full height to the end of the bath & then stop or drop to ½ tile.

The style for the rest of the walls is down to personal preference on colour & style but, as already stated, fully tiled bathrooms are outdated. Or you could just leave the rest of the walls painted except for a tiled splash back behind the wash basin, wherever that is.

Tiling materials should be quality trade products of the correct type for your tiles & tile base, cheap DIY products sold in the sheds are mostly crap. Correct preparation before tiling is also important & this will depend on the tile base & type of adhesive used. A good read through the Tiling Sticky & Tiling Forum archive posts will provide a lot of advice on tiling do's & dont's to avoid you making mistakes but you should always come back for specific advice if you need it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back