Mist coat and bathroom paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Our bathroom has been skimmed and the plaster is now dry so I have started painting a mist coat with Dulux Supermatt thinned down by 25% water. How many mist coats do I need to do before we can begin painting with the top coat which will be Dulux bathroom paint, we were going to thin the first coat of the bathroom paint by 10%.

Also on the ceiling do we need to buy bathroom paint or can we get away with using the supermatt?

Sponsored Links
You should only need one mist coat unless the walls are extremely patchy after drying.
The best paint for bathrooms would be a good quality trade acrylic eggshell or a specific bathroom paint (which is effectively a retail version of the acrylic eggshell). At a push, you could use vinyl silk emulsion but matt paints are not really suitable for bathrooms due to moisture/condensation issues.

Supermatt has no place in the bathroom. You need a bathroom paint mist coat (I'd say 20%) then a couple of top coats at 10%. Full thickness paint will give you brush marks and roller stipple.

Sponsored Links
Thanks though a bit too late for the mist coat as I did it last night, my other half will be pleased that we only need one mist coat. What I'll do then is thin the bathroom paint down to 20% so that will act like a second mist coat and then do a second coat at 10% and I'll have to nip off down the shop for the ceiling paint if that has to be bathroom too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back