Mist coat for new plaster / mixed wall preparation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have freshly skimmed plaster ceilings (thoroughly dried out) and plan to give these a mist coat. My first question is this - I have Leyland Vinyl Emulsion (Brillian White) - is this suitable, or do I need to get down the shops tomorrow?

Second question - the walls have been stripped of wall paper and are now mainly (old...) painted plaster, but we have some patches where the plaster has been repaired (where plaster came off with paper - and these are now a white / cream finish - not as per ceiling skim). What method would I use on these mixed painted / plaster walls? should I give the same treatment all over prior to painting, or do the repaired plaster patches need separate attention?

Help / advice appreciated soon - we plan to start tomorrow... and the carpet fitter's coming tuesday!!

Here's hoping someone's spending a happy friday evening with the laptop...
Thanks v much in anticipation,
Gilly

Sponsored Links
Mist coat on everything then when dry check for any imperfections and fill, caulk, gentle rub down etc. Second coat bit thicker and final coat not thinned.

i personally wouldent use a vinyl based paint i would just use the cheapest matt i could find

Robbie - scuse my ignorance here.. but what exactly do you mean by caulk?

Steve - I was a bit suspicious of the vinyl... I'll get some cheap matt for the first 2 mist coats.

Ta v much for the help

Sponsored Links
caulk is a gunnable filler, by that i mean it comes in tubes to be used with a mastic gun, it's a flexable filler, but not sandable

hi - I have a similar question about painting over newly skimmed plaster in my new house (well dry by the way - been weeks now). We have flooring and windows fitted already and I'm a bit concerned that if I use a spray then I will get the paint everywhere. Am i OK just to use roller and brush for the first couple of watered down matt coats - or is there any kind of special small scale mister that might help speed up the job but not be too messy. Any advice welcome!?

Also i read a couple of confusing forums about bathroom paint. I had planned to prep in the same way - 1/2 coats of matt depending on absorption, and then finish with one coat of bathroom paint. Some of you experts seem not to like dulux bathroom paint so any other suggestions before I make a mistake with this??

Avoid the spray!..

To spray paint effectively youl need an airless and tey are NOT for the faint hearted beleive me..the over spray when spraying mist coat is like a fog!

Even a roller can chuck a mist coat all about the place...theres nothing wrong with using a 5 inch wall brush instead.

As for the K&B paint...I hate the stuff, and its a but of a hype, they have people beleiving its the only thing you can use in kitchens and bathrooms..it isnt, go to any site and youl find ordinary matt emulsion on the walls...as long as its well ventilated yo wont have a problem

But if you really want to use it Id go for a mist coat, a coat of softsheen then two coats of the k an b paint

You can use a normal vinyl matt thinned for the mist coat no probs, i know where your coming from steveuk but it doesnt have to be trade matt.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back