Mist Coat Recommendations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have searched and found a few posts, some older posts so wanted some up to date advise please.
So what is the best paint for new plaster mist coat. Its a kitchen and will be finished with a suitable hard wearing cleanable paint. In the past I have used dulux trade supermat on new plaster but its only a small kitchen and do not need 14 or 10 ltrs.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
From reading others on here it would appear that using contract or trade paint watered down as a mist coat is not the way to go with new fully dried plaster but to instead use a dedicated new plaster primer.
Thoughts / recomendations ?

See this thread, results on last post:

See this thread, results on last post:

Thanks for the link. They mostly talk about the merits of sanding down new shiny plaster which is something that i will be doing very slightly.

Sponsored Links
Look at one of my posts regarding dilution of paint for mist coat.
25% as per dulux instructions gave best results.

What you using as topcoat? Read the application data sheet for the topcoat paint online. That will tell you what to use as primer and how to apply

What you using as topcoat? Read the application data sheet for the topcoat paint online. That will tell you what to use as primer and how to apply
Thanks. It was actually from reading one of your posts that taught me about the trade / contract mat watered down not being the best to use on new dry plaster so I started looking at bespoke primers which has since I first posted lead me to Zinsser Perma White satin as a top coat which would then be Zinsser bullseye 123 primer I think.

The info says PermaWhite® bonds to existing solvent-based or glossy paints. Perma-White® also seals flat paint, new drywall, cement block and concrete. It is ideally suited for any area of persistent high humidity, frequent temperature changes and poor air circulation.
Then the data sheet says
Before applying PermaWhite® to bare plaster it must first be sealed with a primer e.g., Bulls Eye® 1-2-3.

Any ideas on what I should do, would it be ok to use Optiva Primer by trikurilia under
Zinsser PermaWhite.

Id use acrylic primer undercoat or the bullseye123.
I've used optiva primer and its similar to acrylic primer.
If you are wanting technical help from a company you have to follow spec. You know it's going to work fine as been lab tested.

Any reason you don't want to follow zinsser spec?

It was when I was googling mist coat or 123 I started seeing people who have had issues after following the data sheet for 123. - See my last 2 posts with the links. I think you yourself commented on them.

Id use acrylic primer undercoat or the bullseye123.
I've used optiva primer and its similar to acrylic primer.
When you say you use acrylic primer instead of a mist coat which one do you use.

Any a acrylic primer undercoat.
I'm using the Johnstone's Trade Joncryl Water Based Primer Undercoat.
Add 10-15% water for first coat.
Leyland one is also ok if on a budget

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back