mist coat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
have just given my newly plastered(dot n dabbed) kitchen/diner a mist coat of glidden magnolia water based contract matt bought from dulux centre..i have watered it down approx 30/40% as reccommended..is 1 coat sufficient to seal the new plaster ? or should i give it another coat before i sand the walls with 120grade sandpaper & do the filling in with polyfilla ? or another mist coat after sanding/filling etc before i apply the topcoats ? + i have a sanding block but is there any harm in using a palm sander on the walls which surely would be alot quicker..cheers again :)

Sponsored Links
Single mist coat is fine.

Why are you sanding a newly plastered wall?

just a light sand after the mist coat + a touch of filling in im afraid tbh..

George

You have misted the walls with contract emulsion although using contract thinning around 20% would have been ok, now if the application of the mist coat has highlighted any imperfections in the skim that would be lightly to show through the finish coats you can if you feel the need face fill lightly sand and and spot mist those areas, yet I doubt that you will need to do this.

In this case there is no need to sand the mist coat only carry on with your finish coats, apply two coats of your choosen colour and you will be fine.

Dec

Sponsored Links
Three mist coats is quick succession is best.

I know that many apply more than one mist coat, but one is sufficent, you have already thinned the contract more than enough and there really is no need to apply another one.

Dec

Yes there is a good reason. You end up with a uniform colour on which to paint.

Many topcoats (vinyl silk in particular) are very translucence and subsequent topcoats WON'T cover. Try it my way and learn something for a change. I tried it your way and it is inferior.

Well i'm rather suprised to here that you have difficulty in offering even coverage from a correct procedure, perhaps you should contact Akzo Nobel and PMG coatings to name but two and offer them this advice. I am sure they will find it very interesting.

Dec

You are talking rubbish. I've tried it your way and it's inferior. Get a life mate and LEARN to do the job right.

I have very good life my internet friend probably far better than yours.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back